Thoughts on the Mini-Series

Digital Guerrilla

If you saw it talk about it. I enjoyed this one better than the original. How Leto II is to me the best part of CoD his discovery of his fate 'excepting the worm suit' to save humanity. I still wish there were more 'cultural faces' in a visual sense but the series in filmed in the far eastern part of Europe (C. Republic?). Anyways this Dune is an interesting version of the story we know and love whichever it maybe (Herbert's book or Lynch's movie) ;).

Exactly towards the book, but with the right amount of artistic license.

To me, that is the film in a nutshell. if a person has never read dune messiah, this first episode will tell them everything they want to know. Not only that, it is so good that it would potentially get somebody to start reading the series. brilliant work. Exactly what I hoped for and it does the book series that I love most real justice.

I'm not sure how Sandwraith has watched the entire CoD mini yet (it's only night 1), but *I* just got done watching night 1 and was thoroughly impressed. Certain aspects felted a bit compressed, maybe rushed to squeeze all of Dune Messiah into a two hour span with commerical breaks.

I particularly loved the scenes immediately following Muad'dib telling Alia, "Settle all accounts," with her then going out with Stilgar and taking care of business, Godfather-style.

Excellent stuff.

Bad points... hmmm... maybe the casting director picking a guy to play Stilgar who doesn't even vaguely resemble the guy from the original mini (perhaps the same thing for Duncan). Though she wasn't in night 1 much, I didn't have much of a problem with Alice Krige taking over for the previous actress... although Ms. Krige hasn't really aged well since "Sleepwalkers." I kept waiting for her to tell Halleck, "Resistance is futile."

- Neo

I'm not sure how Sandwraith has watched the entire CoD mini yet (it's only night 1).

I did not say when I posted this Sunday (03/16/03) that I had seen the entire mini, what are you talking about? I just created the thread to talk about the mini-series each night or whatever.