Dune Tidbits (spoilers)

Andrew

I have just recently finished reading dune messiah, CoD, and almost done of God Emperor of Dune. I am currently doing an essay on politics/religion on the duniverse(franks mostly). While reading the books i "tagged" certain stuff pretaining to my essay, and also in Geod I pointed out some stuff that could be up for discussion. These quotes I am taking out of my pdf versions (much quicker to copy and paste)(but all page #'s etc are relative to the real book I have read.

So in Geod there are no sandworms? that is what i got out of that.

"None can escape me, not even the futile colony you've recently planted at. . " And Leto reeled off for her the standard chart coordinates of a new colony the lxians had planted secretly far beyond what they thought were the reaches of his Empire.

-page 129- Maybe this means that these secret colonies were forgotten after letos death and they made machines that were prohibited by the butlerian jihad rules.

If I die away from water, there will be no more spice-not ever.

-page 15- I guess this would be true.

"Because he says he wishes to create no more Face Dancers. He insists that his

human stock, once it has been paired, breeds in the way it has always bred."

-page 86- This may have to do with the enemy, maybe leto saw facedancers as a threat.

"A distinct possibility. You know, Duncan, few understand what a disaster my end

will be."

-page 118- So leto knew he would die a terrible death.

Also in CoD leto told stilgar he would die at the place they were standing. Would that be the same spot as he did die?(i think so because it was near sietch tabur(sp?).

"And holding people planet bound keeps them out of mischief."

"It does something more important than that. It fills them with a longing to

travel. It creates a need to make far voyages and see strange things.

Eventually, travel comes to mean freedom."

-page 203- So this would make the scattering, maybe Leto wanted them to scatter so they could face the enemy and be more prepared for them. (rather than sitting in the imperium not knowing the enemy came)

No ancestral presences would remain in her consciousness, but she would carry with her forever afterward the clear sights and sounds and smells. The seeking machines would be there, the smell of blood and entrails, the cowering humans in their burrows aware only that they could not escape . . . while all the time the mechanical movement approached, nearer and nearer and nearer ...louder...louder! Everywhere she searched, it would be the same. No escape anywhere.

-page 295- I beleive this confirms that the enemy in chapterhouse dune and the house series. They will be machines. and maybe the only one who can save tehm is the face dancers, even though leto wanted them exterminated.

"Do not fear the lxians," he said, and he heard his own voice as a fading whisper. "They can make the machines, but they no longer can make arafel. I know. I was there."

-page 355- So the ixians will save the human race? or just create the no ships?(since there will be no spice) also I forget what arafel is but I know there is the thread about it.

I am thinking of coming up with a dune religion/politics thread with my info/quotes (not for crazy arguing)

and in another thread, somone talked about in the dune movie how paul said god created arrakis to train the faithful. That quote may have came form CoD.(yes it was in the movie but it is also in Cod novel)

"But God created Arrakis to train the faithful," Leto said. "I've not only showed you my faith, I've made you conscious of your own existence. Life requires dispute. You've been made to know -- by me! -- that your reality differs from all others; thus, you know you're alive."

-page 269- CoD

any comments?

There are many degrees of sight and many degrees of blindness, Paul thought. His mind turned to a paraphrase of the passage from the Orange Catholic Bible: 'What senses do we lack that we cannot see another world all around us?'

Page 153 dune messiah

Another world all around us, maybe it means the way we interpret our(the) world.

Yes the Ixians, could make machines to defeat the machines...the irony!

Also do you think that leto was using the golden path to build up the humans want to spread out and to grow better for themselves. Maybe he was protecting them from destroying themselves. He did say that if it wasnt for the golden path the human race would be extinct(or somthing like that).

Time does not count itself. You have only to look at a circle and this is

apparent.

-Leto II (The Tyrant)

Does anyone have an explanation to this quote as to how a circle is time and it does not count itself? This is one of my favorite quotes but I am not sure what it exactly means.

i think the idea behind the scattering was to spread humankind far and wide throughout the universe. that way if the inner worlds did get attacked and destroyed by the machines, then theres always the humans from the scattering.

isnt the general idea of the bene gesserit (and leto) to keep humankind alive, and try to help them evolve?