dual athlon xp problems

i got a couple of 1800+ xp processors and installed them in an asus a7m266-d motherboard. they were manufactured before amd decided to cut the L5 bridges so i dont think i need to take them out and fiddle with them but i still cant think of what i could do to get them to run together. do i need a different version of bios or somthing?

some help would be appriciated. thnx

thanks but this doesnt really help. i already have installed the processors but only one is working and im getting a message at startup saying somthing like 'warning cpu1 is not mp enabled' and i was wondering what i should do about this. maybe an older version of bios that doesnt register this or somthing?

Did you confirm that the L5 bridge was not cut? If it's not cut then I don't think you will be able to set the BIOS to fix the problem. Maybe the motherboard manufacturer is working with AMD to stop people from using XP's in Dual motherboards. You would have to mod the BIOS somehow which is not an easy thing to do. I really think it is best to buy the chips that the manufacturer suggests in multiprocessor setups.

well im sure that the L5 bridge is not cut but as to whether asus is working with amd to stop people using two xps im not sure, but that would make sense. i think ill install an older version of bios as a last resort(is that a good idea? - asus makes it sound like playing with a grenade). does anybody have any helpful ideas? doc nyar?

Well I did some more research just for you. I found this link:

http://www.hardcoreware.net/rigs/index.php?&r=194

This guy has the same motherboard as you and got it to work with XP's using the Mod from here:

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/articles.hwz?cid=2&aid=393

Which is the same one I posted in the earlier thread. Now it is possible that an older BIOS might work, but I don't recommend doing that. Here is a quote from the thread on the "hardcoreware" link above:

hamkaas, Asus says that the board only suports two MPs or one XP, which is incorrect...this is the 2nd rig I've built with this mobo and dual XPs.

AMD wants all mobo manufacturers to incorporate a bios which will not allow XP procs on the new MPX chipset, but none have done so to date.

Here's a review where they ran dual Durons in the new Tyan MPX board, one 1.0 Duron and one 1.1 Duron.

Check it out:

http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2002q1/tyan-tigermpx/index.x?pg=4

I would first make absolutely sure the L5 bridge is not cut by visually inspecting them. Here are the pics:

Position of L5 bridge:

where_l5.jpg

Multiprocessor capable XP:

xp_already_mod.jpg

Cut L5 Bridge (Will not work in dual config):

xp_unmod.jpg

That's as much as I can help. If your chips are not cut and you still have a problem I don't think messing with the BIOS will help. You might want to post to that thread I mentioned at the beginning of this post. Maybe that guy can help.