Emperor Quiting To Desktop

Saemetheis

how manny times must i say, it doesnt work. and i have no clue how to upgrade bios. I got the 4 in 1 drivers and those dont work.

You stated that your problem is much more general then it is related to one specific program. Your problem seems to appear in all games and even Windows itself. It might be useful if you want people to help you to post some specs, or as stated in the read this first thread in this forum to attach your dxdiag when you report a problem and want people to help you. Unfortunately we don't have a christal bulb that tells us everything :)

Istn't there a patch from Microsoft for use of Win'9X with AMD K6 prosessors ?

You'r mainboard manual tell's you what kind of processor you have ? That's ought, it should just tell you what kinds it supports.

[ the recognition could be a jumper setting, although I'm not shure on that ]

Level 2 Cache of the K6 III is located directly on the core of the CPU. This was not the case with the K6 II. This would make it possible for the case to run at full clock speed with the K6 III. O, and both the K5 and K6 featured 3D now!, wasn't that great .. ;D [ sorry, can't help it ;) ]

I have had both a AMD K5 and K6 II. The last was for me the final AMD pocessor I bought for personall use. It was just to unstable in my system. Although the AMD can't get the full blame for it, a lot of MOBO's who had a socket 7 didn't work all that well with AMD's. So there i a pretty big part of the problem to.

This support topic at Westwood indicates that Emperor could crash on an AMD K6 II processor, just stupid I didn't thought of that and didn't find it any sooner. :-

well i think i found another problem. My mainboard is configured for AMD-k6-III, but i opened it up and looked at the processor, and its a k6-2! but if thats not the problem with u guys, well then, not via but the k6-2 processor is screwed. i think a k6-3 will work.

My mainboard is configured for AMD-k6-III, but i opened it up and looked at the processor, and its a k6-2!

With configured for AMD-K6-III, you mean it can only be used [ or best used ] with an K6 III, or that your jumpersetting is configured for an K6 III ?

If the second, you could look at the manual of your mainoard and see how you should adjust the jumpers to fit a K6-II more properly.

If you would deside to use a K6-III instead of your current K6-II, we would appreciate an update on if it works or not. :)

1. my processor doesnt have the speed on it so im not sure. The only other config for a k6-2 is for 475 mhz. id try that but it could screw up the whole system.

2. what patch from microsoft. if sum1 has a link or sum info can u please post it.

3. bout how much woulda k6-3 cost.

The patch was only ment for Win'9X I thought, so if you have a higher version you probably won't need it.

A AMD k6-III wouldn't cost much more then about 40 Euro's / Dollar's new. And that would be much to pay for it. Mayby you can find it secondhand at Ebay or another online secondhand store for just a few bucks.

• 2 weeks later...

Great, I just typed my whole reply just to hit the close all tabs option of Opera. . so here it is again. :)

It has been a while sinds a friend of mine toled me that he needed the patch. [ what can I say, we where young back then and against everything even remotely looking like a monopoly. So we used Linux instead of Windows, AMD over Intel and A-Open and Asus as hardware thingies. At present, 3 of those things have dissapeared from my stack of computers. . allthough I have to admit there is an Asus 3800 in it somewhere :-[ ] Anyway, I'm not shure on if this is the patch he used back then. It applies only for Win'95 and is about 5 years old at this point. There are 3 links [ 1 2 3 the fist is in German, both others are in English ] that give a bit more info about it. The only differance, I thought the error-messages where a bit more variable. A few where reported back then, in short most of them related to an instable system.

If you should need the patch and can't find it. . I still have a copy of it in my archief somewhere. ...

A few years after that, with the release of Win'98 and it's USB support. Combining that with an USB controler and an AMD it could result is Win'98 errors. I'm not shure anymore what caused it, the AMD, just Windows or the possible VIA chipset.

If you'd like to know more. . let us now. :)

This support topic at Westwood indicates that Emperor could crash on an AMD K6 II processor, just stupid I didn't thought of that and didn't find it any sooner. :-

I know the pathces arn't any solution for the Emperor problem, and tolled you it was your K6 processor .. . ;)