Did frank herbert intend to make a different Jihad book?

TMA_1

I have heard of McNelly and Frank herbert writing only the first chapter of a butlerian jihad book. Though he seems snide and unwilling to show it, Was the jihad story going to be different than brian and kevins? Would it have encompassed ideas from the Dune Encyclopedia? What do you guys think?

You're slightly confused. McNelly and Herbert had planned to write a book about the Butlerian Jihad (A book, not three) but there are four completed chapters, not one, and Herbert did not contribute to them. McNelly wrote them entirly himself, the plan was to give them to Herbert to see what he thought of it, and then re-right them together. Unfortunatly, Herbert fell ill and McNelly never bothered to shwo them to Herbert. Back int he early ninties McNelly sent them to Brian and wanted Brian to co-write it with him, but Brian turned him down. The Legends of Dune trilogy is supposedly completly different from McNelly's four chapters.

It's a shame Dr. McNelly refuses to have them published or released to the general public. My guess is that, even if he wanted to, he might run into some trouble with Brian and Kevin J. If these four chapters were anywhere near as good as the DE, I would trade the whole BJ trilogy for those four chapters. :-

yes... I am just going to flat out say it now. I have read the Butlerian Jihad By Brian and Kevin, and the Dune Encyclopedia. The DE is so much more in line with the dune universe in my opinion.

but if you read the DE, boy was he a good writer. Also the many people he chose to help him during that time. It is much more in line with the dune series I believe. I still love the prequels though.