QM and 56k

DukeLeto

Out of curiousity, is the dial up provider the same as the cable/dsl one ?

Yes, but tehy're provided by different people. They're both called Earthlink, but the dial-up was provided by Volaris OnLine, and cable by Time Warner.

I read your info Nyar and I have to sympathsize with Leto's confusion.

I don't care if my provider is next to my house, if I'm using a phone line thats 20 years old and can only send or recieve 10kbps when the game wants 17kbps there will be lag/slowerplay/whateveryouwanttocallit. The same doesn't happen with cable, unless theres alot of ppl on the same port at once as you pointed out. When I talk about connection speed I naturally refer to the bottleneck, which in my experience is almost allways the phone line quality. Maybe leto was referring to his phone line but saying his 56K modem??

FWH

sure it could be that the packages are to big ! but that what he wrote is for games where the packages arnt bigger than 56k modem can handle !

Yes, but tehy're provided by different people. They're both called Earthlink, but the dial-up was provided by Volaris OnLine, and cable by Time Warner.

Like said, you can't draw conclusions towards equipment, when you actually changed provider. Apart from that, the different equipment in your providers network (with the same provider concerning dial up and cable/dsl) is huge.