Serial for File Exchange

Hi, I've never posted here before, I very rarely read it, but I just wanted to ask a question:

I recently bought a Compaq Portable 2, one of the earliest portable computers.

I was hoping for a way to put a few text-based DOS games on the hardrive for something to do, the only removable disk type it uses is the old 5" floppies, and try as I might to remove the hardrive, I finally gave up in disgust. The dang thing just doesn't want to come out.

So, I decided to look at it from another standpoint. The computer has a serial port, and I *know* it can be used to transfer information. Other than ripping it apart, or ripping one of my others apart, to find and install a 5" drive, I decided to comeo n here and ask, if:

If I go out and buy a serial cord, connect it to one of my new computers, connect it to the portable, and turn both of them on, will I by able to swap files? Without buying a modem or anything for the portable, and without installing new software?

Thanks guys. :)

Hi, I've never posted here before, I very rarely read it, but I just wanted to ask a question:

I recently bought a Compaq Portable 2, one of the earliest portable computers.

I was hoping for a way to put a few text-based DOS games on the hardrive for something to do, the only removable disk type it uses is the old 5" floppies, and try as I might to remove the hardrive, I finally gave up in disgust. The dang thing just doesn't want to come out.

So, I decided to look at it from another standpoint. The computer has a serial port, and I *know* it can be used to transfer information. Other than ripping it apart, or ripping one of my others apart, to find and install a 5" drive, I decided to comeo n here and ask, if:

If I go out and buy a serial cord, connect it to one of my new computers, connect it to the portable, and turn both of them on, will I by able to swap files? Without buying a modem or anything for the portable, and without installing new software?

Thanks guys. :)

A serial port can be used for data transfers and it's (serial port) slower than a printer port. You can purchase a program similiar to "Lap Link". Lap Link comes with 2 cables - 1 serial port and 1 printer port. Just load the program 'Lap Link' onto your desktop ... power down both machines - hook-up the cable you want to use; power up both machines ... afterwards load the program on your desktop - you can load the program onto your portable and then start transfering programs to your hearts content or until your postable harddrive is almost full.

I think it's going to be difficult. As far as I know, you'll need a program that allows you to transfer files from one pc to another. I've done some searching on this subject and have found several programs that might be of good use, the best being "Powercopy". Unfortunately, I doubt these programs come on a 5" floppy. "Powercopy" supports all platforms, starting with a 80386. I don't know what type of processor you have, but if it's below, I think you can forget the option of file transfer..

Will the program work in MSDOS?

Does it come in 5" floppy format?

If I have to change my disk type, it invalidates th entire purpose. Not to mention my hardware...

Yes, Lap Link will work in Dos mode. You don't need it in 5" floppy format for it to work.

Load the program on your desktop ... start it after shutting down both your computers (in order to connect the cable - I've worked on computers that bad stuff happened to them when someone hooked up a cable to them while still on; it's wasn't pretty for the customer).

Restart your computer - start the "Lap Link" program.

Once it's started, it can force feed (Load) the program onto your portable.

It is a program that many computer repair shops use to transfer hard drive information onto a new hard drive. Most people tend to purchase a new hard drive when the get a new computer.

Will the program work in MSDOS?

Does it come in 5" floppy format?

If I have to change my disk type, it invalidates th entire purpose. Not to mention my hardware...

Yes, Lap Link will work in Dos mode. You don't need it in 5" floppy format for it to work.

Load the program on your desktop ... start it after shutting down both your computers (in order to connect the cable - I've worked on computers that bad stuff happened to them when someone hooked up a cable to them while still on; it's wasn't pretty for the customer).

Restart your computer - start the "Lap Link" program.

Once it's started, it can force feed (Load) the program onto your portable.

It is a program that many computer repair shops use to transfer hard drive information onto a new hard drive. Most people tend to purchase a new hard drive when the get a new computer.

Are you sure it supports all processor types ?

You might want to try and contact the tech support of your pc manufacturer. They might have tips on how to make the job easy, as well as a manual...

Who? Compaq? ROFL...I doubt the techies would even know what I was talking about.

So this LapLink may work, then, I'll look it up and see if it's in my budget range. Thanks. :)

You might want to try and contact the tech support of your pc manufacturer. They might have tips on how to make the job easy, as well as a manual...

Who? Compaq? ROFL...I doubt the techies would even know what I was talking about.

So this LapLink may work, then, I'll look it up and see if it's in my budget range. Thanks. :)

You'll never know, no you have, yes you can get :) And thanks Oper for bringing up Lap Link.