Dune 2 clone - 1024x768 shot in-game editor + sand hills + new RMG

stefanhendriks

6 teams are supported. You can easily add another player btw using your own team you can program in. (which i might do eventually).

the icons thingy like WC is not my style though, i find it limiting the amount of selected units. It won't even fit on my sidebar right now.

update:

CarryAlls work basicly. They fly around randomly when they have nothing to do and you get your harvester from a CarryAll after you have built a Refinery. The CarryAll does not go back yet, i have to implement that, however its getting somewhere. I will add 'pick and return' thingies aswell asap.

update:

Carryalls work! Man, i never thought it would be that hard to code actually but it works now. What i have added:

- Carryalls will pick up units who cannot find a path

- Carryalls can bring in new bought harvesters

- Carryalls will bring in new units when bought and could not get out of a structure.

- Carryalls can pickup harvesters to bring them to a refinery.

- Carryalls will bring harvesters to spots far away

Things are really looking good; i have been working on a small demo package. Unzipped it is 1.8MB. I can compress my data files so it will probably a bit smaller. Zipped it is around 560KB. I have a nice install maker which i will use for my demo soon.

A demo is getting closer. I want to finish my building routines (like you can build turrets and the other remaining structures which are not in yet). I might even build in everything that is needed for a more complete game.

I want to get missiles and such built in aswell. I am hasitating if i should release a 'build only' version or one with more action? If there are enough people wanting me to release an earlier demo, i will.

A build only game is not the most exciting...

A basic AI and some primitive bullets helps...

be sure to let the bullets look exactly like in Dune2... or else you will loose some of the dune feeling.

And if you havent already done so theme-based music (battlemusic when attack, building music when peace ++) makes a really dune2 feeling...

Are you going to make a total remake for the missions? Then you can release an Alpha with level 1 for all the sides... That level is minimal shooting...

and i have another idea:

Make missions for all the 6 houses... like in Super Dune...

level 9 is: You Vs. Harkonnen, Ordos, Sardaukar (if you are oine of them a random house are going in, but mainly atreides). (and no atreides if you are Fremen).

Make a new bonus Level 10.

A gigant map where all the houses fights, Atreides allied with Fremen, but thats all... And at that level, make a custom feydakin group that atreides can use in its palace. I think it would be great, and if you want i can try to make that map for ya...

By the way, does your game have modding possibilities for making new units as in emperor?

actually when i have bullets in (i am working on them now) i will keep them Dune 2 like. And, whenever i release a demo it will contain one big map with YOU vs everybody. (that means: you (harkonnen) vs: Atreides, Ordos, Sardaukar, Mercenary, Fremen).

My goal is to let you play the original Dune 2 missions aswell; but since i use a different file format i'm afraid i need to write a converter and thats not the most fun part to do :)

about modding:

Currently i don't care about creating the game with INI files (like Emperor/Ra, etc) so you can add units that way, remove them, change them, etc. Instead i have in my source a file with the same properties (in code yes, but it is not hard to change at all and i will provide tutorials). I might code an INI wise of reading some day, but currently everything is hardcoded.