Problems running EBDF in WIN XP

colinb1

Having problems running EBFD in WIN XP Pro. Its starts with the first screen Emperor Battle for Dune, some disk activity, then goes back to desktop.

I have tried running in Win98 Compatability mode but same results. I have tried re-installing several times (and with virus checkers disabled). attached is EZ & DXdiag. Direct3D results does look a bit suspect, it runs ok for dx7 tests but fails to run dx8.

I have tried re-installing video drivers + going back to previous driver with same results. however I do know it did not always give this error. Also

new games that does require DX8 runs with no problems as do the majority of all games that I have installed.

Your problem sounds similar to the problem mentioned in the thread "trick to install with xp?". Even though you can install the program you can't launch the program successfully and it may be the game copy protection. Look in the thread mentioned above :

http://www.dune2k.com/forum/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=6484

Look at the post by WavyGravy.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's the link to the patch. Follow the instructions enclosed.

ftp://ftp.westwood.com/pub/emperor/update/EMPENGINSTFIX10.ZIP

Thanks so much for posting WavyGravy. This is for an install problem, but it may help the person having problems anyway. It's worth a shot. I downloaded a copy of this patch for future reference. Once again thanks for helping out.