Installing a New Hard Drive is a NIGHTMARE

HELP! I got my new hard drive to be semi-working but my system is still all buggered up due to the bad HD settings being cloned, when I try to access any of my games on the new D: drive (my new hard drive letter, formerly my DVD ROM letter) none of them work!!! Even though I updated the letter references in my Registry etc (or so the software said!)

This system chaos is driving me insane. I need someone who is *really* technically inclined with PCs to help me step by step via Instant Messaging Service. I have Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger, and ICQ. Whoever is qualified, please help!!!

Nyar I have loads of OTHER problems too! For example, when my hard drive first started giving me problems, I started having to press "F1 to resume" every time I boot up. I NEVER used to have to do that! In addition, scandisk runs by default every time I boot up. Both of these things need to stop. This happens even with my new drive. I noticed that the "cluster map" made in Scandisk was transferred over to my new drive... when Scandisk runs in MS-DOS mode automatically when I boot up, the cluster map of my OLD drive is displayed even when I am booting with my new drive.

Not only was my data cloned from my old drive to the new drive, but also programming instructions that tell my OS (win 98 SE) that my new drive is the same screwed-up drive as my old drive)

I need to remove whatever code is telling my new Hard Drive to make me press "F1" just to boot up and that runs Scandisk every time, and that my old drive is the same as my new drive, to cut that out!

I'd really like to preserve ALL my data so formatting and reinstalling Windows on the new drive is not a preferential choice. Can you help me get rid of this coding off my new drive without me formatting and sacrificing data?

Thing you could do is delete any OS from your old drive. Make sure that the rest of all your data you want to keep is transfered to old drive. Disconnect the old drive. Format the new drive and once done, reconnect your old drive. This way you're troubles should be over. I can't imagine that you'll see the same problems again. If you go for this option, make sure you run fdisk on the new drive before formating it.