Paul of Dune novel

NeoDevilbane

My perspective is like... does the Duniverse really need this book? It's supposed to detail "Paul's early years"... but who really cares? Everone knows he doesn't even really KNOW much about Arrakis let alone GO there until the time setting of the original Dune novel, so I draw a bit of a blank as to how this novel is, well, frankly not going to suck wind. What tale could it possibly tale? The legend of Paul getting his pubes on Caladan?

All I see this "Paul of Dune" doing is (now ridiculously) stalling KA/BH from doing the Dune 7 we're all waiting for by yet another year or so. Maybe even after they'll have written 6 books themselves they're *still* trying to refine their technique or something... I don't know, I just don't see the point in "Paul of Dune" - do you?

- Neo

I had the same reaction.. I don't really care about Paul from birth to 15. I mean the only things that I think really happened to him(besides puburty) was his training.

KA/BH said they wanted to write it because they "need" to establish some things before writing Dune 7. To me that is pure crap because FH was working on 7 before he passed away, I never heard anything about him writing a early years of Paul novel first. EDIT:Like posted on your Legends of Dune Thread(read it after i posted this, heh)

To me it seems that KA/BH are more interested in telling the history of all the characters rather than further progress the story or leave anything to pure speculation.

Exactly my point -- too many novels.

I've even read an on-line interview with KJA... he says he wants to "play in Dune's sandbox" for as long as he can. Basically, in his own words he says he has no problem overexploiting Dune.

Ridiculous... it's like, OK, right here, right now George Lucas dies before Star Wars Episode III is filmed. Ten years later his son, Sunny Lucas discovers his dad's screenplay for Star Wars Episode III and decides to make it... but not before milking the saga his dad created by claiming the imaginary need to build up to Episode III by cranking out pseudo-prequels Episode -2, Episode -1, and Episode 0, then doing a "Legends of Star Wars" trilogy, and finally Star Wars: Jar Jar Binks of Naboo.

Ludicrous...

- Neo

I guess my main complaint isn't so much all these extra Dune novels KA/BH are cranking out and plan to crank out (although I see it as highly unnecessary and in somewhat bad taste). No, I think my main complaint is how both KA and BH are baiting us with Dune 7, keeping on pushing it further and further back (they say it will be the final Dune novel they will write) while claiming all these misc. Dune novels are all laying oh-so-important foundation for Dune 7... and yet we won't ever SEE Dune 7 until KA/BH are done playing in their sandbox with all these misc. Dune novels.

i.e., if KA/BH want to do all this quasi-retroactive "Prelude to Dune," "Legends of Dune," "Paul of Dune," we can't stop them... but don't make us wait for Dune 7.

Seriously, if it's 2006 and Paul of Dune comes out and KA/BH are like, "Well, we've decided not to make Dune 7 after all," I'm seriously dragging some people out of bed and beating some ass.

- Neo