Components

Doc,

1. About those Intel and ASUS MB that come with onboard sound card, modem and stuff. What happens if i put a separate Sound Card or Modem ? Is there any conflict ?

2. What should I take care the most when choosing a RAM sett for a PIV

Usually, onboard sound and video cards are disabled automaticly, or you are able to manually disable them when you put in a add on video or sound card (same goes ofr the modem btw).

About what to choose for memory when buying an Intel P4 is not a hard question. There are two options (IMHO anyway): DDR333 and PC800 (or PC1066).

DDR333: is the most common and is widely used. Compared to PC800, a good choice !

PC800: A special type of RAM (called RIMMS) and you do need a specific motherboard (this motherboard isn't capable of running any other type of ram then RIMMS).

PC1066: Currently the fastets type of RAM available, but also the most expensive. It runs at a higher bus speed (533Mhz). Again, for this memory you need a motherboard that supports a bus speed of 533Mhz. If you choose this memory, you'd want to choose a processor that's capable of running a bus speed of 533Mhz (starting from the Intel P4 2.4Ghz).

Hope it helps..

Yes, correct.

As for the sets, DDR333 is available as a 128mb, 256mb and 512mb ram module. I do not know if they also are available as 1Gb module, but they might. If you do go that high, make sure you use Windows XP as OS, cause Windows 9x[me=Nyarlathotep]do not make use of that musch memory (512mb max I believe).[/me]

Doc,

I will buy a RAM module DDR333 of 512 MB. Is there anyway that I can make sure that are "DDR333" and 512MB since I was told it doesn't come in package.

BTW, what's the AGP ? (Is it a processor or a part in the MB ? ?

1) AGP has been around for some time now. All new motherboards come with an AGP slot.

2) Yes, AGP slots are physicly different from a PCI slot.

- PCI slots are (usually) white.

- AGP slots are (usually) brown.

- AGP slots are slightly smaller then PCI slots.

- An AGP video card will not fir in a PCI slot (and vice versa).

Doc,

I haven't seen how a MB Intel for PIV looks like yet, but I want to know about the slots for the RAM modules .

How many slots they have ?

If I buy for example 2 modules of 128M of RAM (taking 2 slots i guess) then in the future i need to upgrade, how many available slots will i have, i just try to avoid get rid off some RAM modules.

Thx

Doc,

I was about to buy MB Intel 845, but when i asked for a RAM module of 256 MB DDR, the sales man told me that it wouldn't work on that MB, however he didn't seem 100% sure, he suggested to buy the RAM module PC133. I couldn't get a good answer when I asked about, the performance with that RAM module. That's the main point, getting a good performance.

At the same time he told me that a MB (Brand DFI) would actually accept RAM DDR.

So my Q's are :

1) Is it better for the performance to have an Intel 845 MB with non DDR333 RAM or an DFI MB with DDR333 RAM ?

2) DFI Mother Board costs about 5% less than Intel MB 845

in this particular case, does it mean that DFI MB is not recommended ?

Please advice.

Thx.

I would go for either two of the following boards (random order):

1) Gigabyte GA-8IGXP - lots of features and price performance wise a good choise (accepts DDR333). This board has 3 memory slots

2) Asus P4B533-V - Not to many features, but best performance. It'll cost you more though. Also accepts DDR333). This board has 3 memory slots.

The DFI board didn't come out well of the test, so I would skip it. I would choose between the above two boards. Oh and what ever you do, choose DDR333 instead of PC133..

Doc,

I wish i could buy the MB you suggest, i'd have to order them online and install it by myself, unfortunately i can not, since i need it asap and i've never installed a MB myself :(.

So my only options are :

1. DFI MB for PIV + DDR226 RAM

2. Intel MB 845 + PC133 RAM

Even tought is not a perfect combination, should I choose option 1 ?

please let me know.

I've checking in Intel's website and there seems to be just a few Intel made MB that supports DDR RAM. However most of the DFI MB supports DDR226.

The chipset you choose, is one of ones personal opinion. Myself would always gof or a GeForce (Nvidia). As for memory, I'd choose 128. Especially now that the new cards that come out (ATi 9700 pro, Nvidia's GeForce 5 (NV30 and NV35)) will be capable of running 256mb of ram. Neither of what you asked is "better then the other". They both go in combination.

For the current cards that are out there, I would choose between a GeForce 4, ATi 8500 or ATi 9700pro (the last one if you have the money).

My current personal favorite is the Asus GeForce 4 Ti 4600 (and if you can get it, the special or deluxe edition). This card has 128mb of memory.