Westwood SOLD!

Gobalopper

This is what I picked up from WWU and Doughboy, also check out the Press Release:

Ok here is the big news of the day, after WW denying any rumors of being sold to any company, they have been sold to EA. The cash value of this transaction is $122.5 million. Obviously this is a good thing for EA since Westwood is poised to release Tiberian Sun, the next game in the enormously popular Command & Conquer Series. Brett Sperry the CEO and co-founder of WW said this about the deal, "We are delighted to be partnering with Electronic Arts, the most prominent and successful publisher in our industry. We were courted by many companies, but in the end we knew that EA would provide us with the best infrastructure and support that we need to continue building great games."

In my view i'm still not sure why Virgin (Now part of GT games) sold WW as WW's games were really the only truly successful games under the Virgin label. I can see this as only being a good thing for both EA and Westwood, as EA is the best and most successful gaming company in both PC and Console gaming, being most notable for their sports line. We will just have to wait and see what becomes of this.

Will this affect Dune 2000? I really don't think so as the game is nearing completion and as far as I know Virgin still has the right to distribute it, we may see some delays if in fact EA gets those rights. When looking at the Press Release I noticed that the deal won't be closed until the end of September, which will hopefully be after the release date. This I think won't delay the game unless Westwood is forced to ship the game under the EA label.