Possible Emperor Patch

Gobalopper

I haven't gotten any confirmation on this yet but there could be a possible Emperor patch in the works. Don't get your hopes up on new stuff just yet, it sounds as though it will be a patch to fix problems people are having getting Emperor to run under WindowsXP. I will see what I can find out about it and fill you in soon.

Update: An update to the story. It turns out there won't be a patch but Westwood will still be working out problems people are having with Emperor and XP, although they hasn't been very many so far. Here is part of an email from Chris Longpre explaing it:

There are no current plans for a patch, as all known technical issues are addressable with driver updates, etc. The player that posted that tidbit was told that we are working on ways to get better compatibility with Windows XP. Namely, understanding what drivers are good, what XP settings may affect Emperor, and how to use compatibility mode under XP to run Emperor. His particular issue is about a WindowsXP video problem.

As you know, the only supported OS's are Win95/98/2000/Me. WindowsXP was not final when we shipped the game. However, we have gotten all our XP machines to run Emperor without any problems. I have heard of some other people with problems which they typically overcome with a little tweeking.

So there you have it, there won't be a patch but Westwood is looking into what drivers and conditions are best to make Emperor run well in XP.

If you are having problems with Emperor a great place to look is Nyarlathotep's "lockup" thread over at the official forum. The thread is now reaching almost 1000 posts and almost everyone who has posted their problem has found a solution. A big thanks to Nyar and of course Chris for helping everyone out.