citizens

Emperor Harkonnen

I have now read three dune books, and what I am missing is to get an insight in a normal citizen's life.

In HH I read about Guerney Hallecks life, but that was only on Giedi Prime.

How does for example a citizen of Caladan or Kaitain live?

Those are planets of high standard of living, right?

On Caladan people live quite normal as most people on Earth. The main part are fishermen or work on the field. They haven`t much much money but they are happy becouse their ruler takes care of them.

On Giedi Prime Harkonnen only allow citizen have small gardens and take them from the streets as prisoner without seroius reasons.

On Kaitain? More money (maybe) than on Caladan but I don`t think they feel better.

I've often wondered about the feelings of the "subjects" of the Great Houses. Do they feel actual loyalty to their house, or are they just seen as their rulers?

Also, are the inhabitants of the home worlds actually (e.g) Artreides, or just the subjects of the Artreides? In Dune: Messiah there is a comment about the Artreides being naturally gifted pilots - does this refer to the Artreides family, or the "Artreides People".

Dune is often a very confusing and contradictorary universe ::)

Anyway, after all that I'll introduce myself. :D

I'm zispin, normally of the RA2 community.

Hello all. ;D

Well firstly, this depends on the house. I would guess the Baron Harkonnen is merely seen as a powerful ruler whom no-one dares to disobey. The Caladanians seem to be loyal to the duke, similar to how the Sardaukar see the Emperor.

The Atreides are technically only the descendants of Atreus (ie the family), but it could also mean the people (less likely).

And welcome to Fed2k!

Hmm, I always imagined Kaitan as a second Earth

The countries that have more people employed in agricultire are more like Caladan. Kaitain looks as Earth but for me as Earth from another centuries. But its looks for me. And on Arrakis after Paul people was leaving in stagnation and with whole biurocracy...like in some places now.

And Caladan shows that money not exactly give happyness. You can be happy becouse somebody care for you.

If Frank Herbert leave, maybe he could do sth. But without the rulers it wouldn`t be the same. I mean, Dune is book that is very wide, consist political and mainly Arrakis things.

We see life on Caladan most when we read about Duncan when he was young, both on Caladan and Giedi Prime. And in God Emperor, they show citizens life too, but not on Caladan.

Yeah, but would you be able to create an interesting story about the citizens of Caladan?

ME????? yeah it would have been fun...I once started writing a book, but that ended after one page.

I don't wanna brag, but even though I got 6 out of 6 in english at school. It would be difficult for me to write like Herbert, very, very difficult.