Dune 2000 - Hires Tile Set editor available? over 2K resolution sprites?

paprika

I am preparing ambitious project, if the tool exist. It would be great, if somebody could help me out.

There are lots of mods, but none of them has any hires tile set option like 2048x pixels or higher to be able to re-create all art and follow the original design.

My question is, is it the game code issue that cannot draw super hires textures / sprites? if does, can somebody mod it to read and show hires tile sets?

What I see now, its just a bigger screen resolution that makes it tiny. I have 4k monitor and everything is so small. So, my plan is to re-create the art to make it as it was on screen back in 2000, instead of having zoom out results.

If somebody wants to cooperate on this, you are more than welcome.

An ambitious project indeed! I am not sure if the game engine supports higher res images. But then again I am no expert in D2K.

How would you go about doing the unit/structures? Are you going to enhance them in a specific way? Or really recreate them?

What would be the approach?

I already looked at some structures, i.e. Wind Trap is 64x96 pixels and I would like to make them at least a double / triple of that size. I always prefer 512 pixels per sprite if possible.

It means 1024x spritesheet with 4 frames animation OR 2048x spritesheet with 16 frames animation per structure.

I believe, to make it work somebody have to update the code saying, that the new structure is taken more space on the field etc. My point is, I dont want to have zoom out resolution and make everything tiny, I want to keep same close up camera as the original and add hires images of new version. Something like a remake of Starcraft.

Back to your question, yes!  I would re-render / re-paint all units, also work on new animations per unit / structure etc.  Lots of work, and I would be willing to do that, if it would be supported.

Edited by patrik3dspacek

4 hours ago, patrik3dspacek said:

based on none responses

ayyo mate, I've been busy and/or asleep since the time you started this thread :P just because you don't get an answer right away doesn't mean there's no interest

4 hours ago, patrik3dspacek said:

hires is too much for this game to handle

d2k loads sprites in their actual size. that is, if a sprite is 96x96 by itself, it'll be drawn in exactly the same size in-game. no one has ever attempted to change that, and I have a hunch it would require an exe mod. and if that's the case, Feda has already said he will never make exe mods compatible with his new editor in order to prevent malicious stuff or something, I dunno, it's programmer stuff.

anyway, if you'd like to put your skills to use, there is always demand for an artist - pixel or otherwise - in the d2k community. we have a few, but we can always use more for various reasons. like drawing splash art for missions or campaigns, for instance. Feda's working on something involving the implementation of that sort of art, or at least he intends to when he gets the chance. and that could be used to showcase some really kickass art.

Thanks, but I am not interested in pixel art, because its not a improving / moving the art forward to make it look better.

So, till somebody make a new engine and make a copy of Dune 2000, or create a supported mod / exe to get HD mod...  I wont do anything.

I know its very complicated to do so, so I understand the struggle that could come. I was just trying to make something new with this game.

Thanks