Excess on the Orient Express - Campaign Discussion

Excess on the Orient Express is the 8th mission in the classic campaign of the game.
Its about the development of the European Orient Express during the mid to late 1800's.

These were the win conditions. We start at 1850
Bronze: Connect Paris to Constantinople and haul 24 loads between the two cities by 1889.
Silver: Same as above, but by 1887.
Gold: Same as above, but by 1883.

Essentially this is a "coast to coast" map. But unlike the American or Canadian "coast to coast" maps, you have the added challenge of purchasing territory from all the countries in between.
So you need to consult every country and pay them money for track rights.

So the first thing to do is just build lines between 2 ports - which generate passengers. 
I ignored Paris and built a line between La Rochelle and Caen - both had ports.  That started generated amazing money.

SH240001.thumb.jpg.fde192a44e8ac9010f099d6595971e6d.jpg

Then make one giant line between Paris and Constantinople!  Single track is more than enough.
Also ensure we have dummy stations to replenish Water, Sand and Oil.

SH240003.thumb.jpg.11fd02aca6d447be4c19b463bc0c5317.jpg

You have an option to go via Germany north of the Alps or go via Italy - south of the Alps.
I chose Italy, just to make things challenging as you had to cross the alps. However, there are certain "events" that happen in German side that will affect u!  I wont spoil it! 

SH240002.thumb.jpg.17b66a00ed513b312dfbfc5b2ebda6fa.jpg

Made some 10 trains between Paris and Constantinople and getting Gold was easy.
I love these message boxes!

SH240004.thumb.jpg.98a3ae6fede8f5b897d1e8bc3ee9014c.jpg

Edited by kamyFC

Something not well documented in the game is how your company's reputation affects the prices of territory rights purchases. In my experience, the big no-no is bulldozing, including bulldozing your own track. The 2nd negative is having a wreck, which lasts for a year or two. If there's a positive, it is serving your stations well, hauling away all freight and selling it somewhere (anywhere regardless of demand, just don't allow it to rot).

When I need to buy territory rights, I buy at the first good opportunity before something can happen to triple the price. If I know that I'll need to buy territory rights in the near future, it limits my track-building (terrain-leveling) tactics by taking away my bulldozer.

On 6/21/2020 at 9:15 PM, jeffryfisher said:

Something not well documented in the game is how your company's reputation affects the prices of territory rights purchases. In my experience, the big no-no is bulldozing, including bulldozing your own track. The 2nd negative is having a wreck, which lasts for a year or two. If there's a positive, it is serving your stations well, hauling away all freight and selling it somewhere (anywhere regardless of demand, just don't allow it to rot).

When I need to buy territory rights, I buy at the first good opportunity before something can happen to triple the price. If I know that I'll need to buy territory rights in the near future, it limits my track-building (terrain-leveling) tactics by taking away my bulldozer.

ah i see.  Did not know prices went up and down based on your actions.

Man this game never ceases to amaze!