Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
razel

Dune 2K Map Editor question about AI

Recommended Posts

Hello, i hope this forum is still activ or i can find at least one person who can help me out.

i create a map for dune2000 and activatet it..

Now the problem is, that the AI stuck.

example the start money is 7000, but all AI's stuck on 3250 or somethink.

so they are able to start a building but not able to put it on the ground. 

i have a screenshot for it if you look at the photo you will maybe understand what i mean.

SS :https://prnt.sc/kwq7lg

so how you can see on the upper right the money stuck they cant build and probably they cant cancel what they build

somethink is blocking the AI to build somethink.

i tried that with more AI/Computer players aswell the same, probably i need to edit somethink? to give them the rights to build somethink maybe? i really dont know.

i really hope someone is still activ in this forum, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, razel said:

AI

Hmmmm...

Did you start a multiplayer game? That can override the starting money you input in the editor. And, does the AI have "Practice Mode" enabled? That is required for it to construct new buildings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fey said:

Hmmmm...

Did you start a multiplayer game? That can override the starting money you input in the editor. And, does the AI have "Practice Mode" enabled? That is required for it to construct new buildings.

i use the gruntmods launcher and there i have just the multiplayer tab to play skirmish

 

https://prnt.sc/kx0loa 

geplänkel means skirmish btw.

and how can i give the AI the practice mode? didnt find anythink on the editor a option for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, razel said:

i use the gruntmods launcher and there i have just the multiplayer tab to play skirmish

 

https://prnt.sc/kx0loa 

geplänkel means skirmish btw.

and how can i give the AI the practice mode? didnt find anythink on the editor a option for that.

First I want to know exactly what you mean with "i create a map for dune2000 and activatet it". 
If you only created the terrain of the map (rocks, sand, spice, the initial positions) then it's really weird that to happen.

Now; if you messed with the AI's tab section, that's a different story, because you could "activate" the AI but not make it to play in skirmish style. If you didn't touch the Ai's tab section, ignore this.

If you really created a map from zero (new map option) it's really weird since when you play using the online launcher (online/skirmish) the AI will use one default type of AI, so they are suppose to play the map.

Since you are new you are not allowed to upload files yet, but if you find a way to share the map here so we can have a look at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cm_blast said:

First I want to know exactly what you mean with "i create a map for dune2000 and activatet it". 
If you only created the terrain of the map (rocks, sand, spice, the initial positions) then it's really weird that to happen.

Now; if you messed with the AI's tab section, that's a different story, because you could "activate" the AI but not make it to play in skirmish style. If you didn't touch the Ai's tab section, ignore this.

If you really created a map from zero (new map option) it's really weird since when you play using the online launcher (online/skirmish) the AI will use one default type of AI, so they are suppose to play the map.

Since you are new you are not allowed to upload files yet, but if you find a way to share the map here so we can have a look at it.

so i createt now a new map.

added everythink what you need to play. some worm spawner, 8 player starts 2 in each corner. some spice saved the map.

The Map ; https://prnt.sc/kx5fd3 

on the upper right you can see the minimap to imagine how it looks like.

after saving the map i start the launcher but the launcher was not able to find the map so i add the ini file with the editor

INi :https://prnt.sc/kx5fy6

so here i click just to the : use.ini file for additional mission settings. i found not a another way to add a ini file.

and without a ini file the map is not showing on the launcher and ofc i give that a name on the mission settings i dont click nothink else or edited it.

 

i start the game and again the same they stuck again and dont build.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first I may tell you it's to get the lastest editor version possible. version 1.2 (on "about" appears the version).

This is how it looks the terrain tab: The editor looks better and were added a couple of new features (although I don't think the editor it's the problem here).

524229825_rightarea.png.14b410cf9e794749bf5be236e19875ef.png

You can download it from here:
https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/27226-release-dune-2000-map-and-mission-editor-v12/

I never created any skirmish online map, but there is something that it's not right there.

On those screens appears "testmap", a name that the program use when you click on the test buttom to launch the game withouth recurring to any other launcher (a quicklaunch). "testmap" will be overwrite everytime, but editing "testmap" it's not affecting the map you are doing.

First, be sure that you have your map pick up, not any other map  called "testmap"; if not just use the "save as" option and change the name; "raze map" or whatever you want.

Later, on the top side of the editor there is a "mission" menu, there appears "unassign .mis file". Skirmish maps not use any ".mis" file that probably your's have. After you click on the "unassign .mis file" your cannot longer enter on the windown that you show us here in the second and third screenshots.

I think the .ini it's still needed, but you cannot do it on the editor (the editor don't ever let you to enter on that part).

But no problem, create a new file, called "raze map.ini" and open it (word pad or anyother text-editor): on the original skirmish-westwood maps we can read:
[Basic]
Name=Habbanya Ridge (SM 2 player)

So you do the same. On your ini file write that except that changing "habbanya" for the name of your map (can be the same as the file or not).

After you are done, a "raze map.map" and "raze map.ini" can be moved into the path "\gruntmods\dune2000\data\maps" (if you are not saving the map on that folder already); and this should be enough.

Execute "cncnet5.exe" again to update it and you only need to search your map in between all the maps that appears there.

Just remember that a pure skirmish map don't make use of any ".mis" file; So be really sure that your map don't have assign anyone (on the "mission" submenu will apear "assign .mis file") and if any .mis file was created on the process delete it.

I can recommend to you first to click on "unassign .mis file" and then "save as" with another name as you first step, so you don't need to deal with any .mis file. Also do it in a separated lonely folder, (just to track it more easily unless you are already doing it). 

If this seems too complicated to you would be better starting from the begginin with a new map, clicking ont he"unassign .mis file" before hitting "save".

If you need more help I can try to show you more screenshots or whatever you need.

Edited by Cm_blast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cm_blast said:

The first I may tell you it's to get the lastest editor version possible. version 1.2 (on "about" appears the version).

This is how it looks the terrain tab: The editor looks better and were added a couple of new features (although I don't think the editor it's the problem here).

524229825_rightarea.png.14b410cf9e794749bf5be236e19875ef.png

You can download it from here:
https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/27226-release-dune-2000-map-and-mission-editor-v12/

I never created any skirmish online map, but there is something that it's not right there.

On those screens appears "testmap", a name that the program use when you click on the test buttom to launch the game withouth recurring to any other launcher (a quicklaunch). "testmap" will be overwrite everytime, but editing "testmap" it's not affecting the map you are doing.

First, be sure that you have your map pick up, not any other map  called "testmap"; if not just use the "save as" option and change the name; "raze map" or whatever you want.

Later, on the top side of the editor there is a "mission" menu, there appears "unassign .mis file". Skirmish maps not use any ".mis" file that probably your's have. After you click on the "unassign .mis file" your cannot longer enter on the windown that you show us here in the second and third screenshots.

I think the .ini it's still needed, but you cannot do it on the editor (the editor don't ever let you to enter on that part).

But no problem, create a new file, called "raze map.ini" and open it (word pad or anyother text-editor): on the original skirmish-westwood maps we can read:
[Basic]
Name=Habbanya Ridge (SM 2 player)

So you do the same. On your ini file write that except that changing "habbanya" for the name of your map (can be the same as the file or not).

After you are done, a "raze map.map" and "raze map.ini" can be moved into the path "\gruntmods\dune2000\data\maps" (if you are not saving the map on that folder already); and this should be enough.

Execute "cncnet5.exe" again to update it and you only need to search your map in between all the maps that appears there.

Just remember that a pure skirmish map don't make use of any ".mis" file; So be really sure that your map don't have assign anyone (on the "mission" submenu will apear "assign .mis file") and if any .mis file was created on the process delete it.

I can recommend to you first to click on "unassign .mis file" and then "save as" with another name as you first step, so you don't need to deal with any .mis file. Also do it in a separated lonely folder, (just to track it more easily unless you are already doing it). 

If this seems too complicated to you would be better starting from the begginin with a new map, clicking ont he"unassign .mis file" before hitting "save".

If you need more help I can try to show you more screenshots or whatever you need.

it worked!!! Thank you so much i really appreciate it.

but a last question, after starting the map it says ; _spawn.mis needed, so i just put the spawn.mis data from the dune2k editor folder to the map folder, and it shows me a timer. ingame i try it yesterday to see what happens if the timer is done, nothing really happens but than after a time i got always a message when i build somethink on the upper left : not able to build or recruit everytime when i recruit a unit but i was still able to build something is there a way to edit the _spawn.mis data or should i just ignore the message? 

and what means Handicap on the launcher i can choice for me 1,2,3.

try to play a game against Hard AI they got directly 40.000$ on the beginning and all attacked me on the same time that was strange

Edited by razel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, razel said:

it worked!!! Thank you so much i really appreciate it.

but a last question, after starting the map it says ; _spawn.mis needed, so i just put the spawn.mis data from the dune2k editor folder to the map folder, and it shows me a timer. ingame i try it yesterday to see what happens if the timer is done, nothing really happens but than after a time i got always a message when i build somethink on the upper left : not able to build or recruit everytime when i recruit a unit but i was still able to build something is there a way to edit the _spawn.mis data or should i just ignore the message? 

I think the _spawn.mis it's a default file that it's used for every map with no .mis or something like that. The timer It's for a non-written rule that pro players do on online game. it's a no aggression between players on the early going, but nothing can stop them to ingore the timer and fight each others, it's just a visual indication.

But just something: when you said "I try it yesterday" you mean trying onthe skirmish part? or on the "test - quick launch/ launch with settings" on the editor directly?

Try to play using the online option, not skirmish. Create a new "game",ask for a random password (nobody will join you) and try playing that way.

I know plenty on campaign type of missions but not skirmish, I never did any map for skirmish before.

If you want you can create a new topic; as the title write "skirmish: not able to build message" and explain how you did a new map and that message appears everytime you build something even although the game let you to do it (since that message it's not related with the AIs, feel free to do a new topic asking for that).

I hope the more veterans on skirmish maps can help you on that.

Edited by Cm_blast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×