Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fey

[WIP] The next campaign...

27 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, Cm_blast said:

Well, I didn't know exactly what will happen after I destroy a sietch; you warn about " - Expect resistance at each Sietch, even after they're razed." so I just took my time to build the army. Who knows how many tanks you will spawn (I still have nightmares because your smuggler campaign xD).

You can do another way. For example, you have 2 Fremen spawming next from a sietch. You can reconvert that to appear always, not only when no units are present, a very small guardgroupside to avoid grouping all those new Fremen, and firstattack and timebetweenattack set to 1000 or something like that, so he creates 2 Fremen, he send them, he creates another 2, he send them (or 4-6 at most). But anyway, that's was only an idea. If you want to maintain the rule for all the maps/campaigns with the only spawning if no other units are present that's ok for me too.

Not exactly. buildings don't have vision, only the units. Here is the proof.
ffffr.PNG.9dc0b9fd3e4f8951b130be414dfec7bc.PNGffffr2.PNG.3407c6c7b0266c57452dec4ba5ea4f16.PNG <-- the VCM is already building concrete, but I cannot see anything.

Usually you can see the ally base because the units wandering around it. 

I can tell you, this will happen in the future more times. The culprit is the Time between attacks.
You have exactly this number = 6250
While I was doing my based on Dune 2 campaign, I was using "7500" as the default time between attacks. Being 2 enemies building at a good pace was good, but when only 1 enemy is present (and low tech), the Ai just waits too much, the player has enough time to build everything and the AI only do the "first attack" wave, so I reduced to a half, this means 3750.

I have 6 levels (2 per faction) with only 1 enemy, so all were using that number. What happens? depending of the map (but happening always), the AI stop attacking. Some maps after the 2º wave, others after the fourth, but sooner or later that will happens.

And then, in my mission 9 with three enemies at once 7500 was too opresive, being constatly attacked the player don't have time to rest, so I just added a extra of 50% of time between attacks, this means 11250. Then I test the map and... again... at least 1 of the Ais suddenly stop the attacks, and never attack again.

So... 3750 and 11250 have in commond... they only have 1 zero. I can't tell you the true reason why this makes the AI go dumb, but I guarantee you: happens.
As a workaround I give of them "3751" and "11251" respectively. 3700/3800 and 11200/11300 should be a better choice, but in my stubbornness desire a perfect -50% and +50% from the default 7500.

The problem never happened again, and for this kind of test I always place 50 devastators and let the game play while I set the timer to -2 so I can check the time that has passed. 30 minutes in, and those single/3 enemies still were attacking (and the mission 9 of that campaig take at least 1 hour, so the attacks were still going with the "11251" number).

If you want to make sure that does not happen again, change it to any number with at least 2 zeroes.
Pd: Another reason why a AI can attack less often has to do with the morale attack building.

Oh yeah, I think I remember you talking about that problem. I'll do some more testing and make sure that's fixed.

Haha, yeah! I like to keep ya on your toes :D I just thought it'd be cool to have different sorts of endings for my maps, twists and plot changes and stuff. You know! This is a little different, though, you will definitely be warned during the actual briefing that will be released about Fedaykin retaliation following the destruction of Sietches. Gunseng also mentions to "defend [his] base until a Refinery is established" after the first MCV is deployed, so I thought that would help too. In addition, the briefing will also mention that the Fremen will only defend their territory and that you should attack aggressively and without mercy. Think of it like S1V1 - the Imperials don't attack Sumadi, but you must take the fight to them. That's the idea! H1V1 is the duelist map like S1V2, with an opponent that will actually try to attack you without provocation.

So... fix time to win condition on version 1, adjust sight issues on version 2, get the briefings done, and fix AI derp on level 2. Thanks again, Cm!

Hey, you know where Feda went? He tested the smuggler campaign maps very well and I'd love his feedback again during the testing process for this campaign :D

11 minutes ago, Fey said:

Oh yeah, I think I remember you talking about that problem. I'll do some more testing and make sure that's fixed.

Yeah, that give me a headache. I remember changing plenty of lines and exploring everything, until I notice that "detail".

12 minutes ago, Fey said:

Haha, yeah! I like to keep ya on your toes :D I just thought it'd be cool to have different sorts of endings for my maps, twists and plot changes and stuff. You know! This is a little different, though, you will definitely be warned during the actual briefing that will be released about Fedaykin retaliation following the destruction of Sietches. Gunseng also mentions to "defend [his] base until a Refinery is established" after the first MCV is deployed, so I thought that would help too. In addition, the briefing will also mention that the Fremen will only defend their territory and that you should attack aggressively and without mercy. Think of it like S1V1 - the Imperials don't attack Sumadi, but you must take the fight to them. That's the idea! H1V1 is the duelist map like S1V2, with an opponent that will actually try to attack you without provocation.

Yeah, having the briefing probably help to know a bit better what to expect (more or less). I will wait until more mission are created.

14 minutes ago, Fey said:

Hey, you know where Feda went? He tested the smuggler campaign maps very well and I'd love his feedback again during the testing process for this campaign :D

No idea.