Fey

[WIP] The next campaign...

33 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, Cm_blast said:

Well, I didn't know exactly what will happen after I destroy a sietch; you warn about " - Expect resistance at each Sietch, even after they're razed." so I just took my time to build the army. Who knows how many tanks you will spawn (I still have nightmares because your smuggler campaign xD).

You can do another way. For example, you have 2 Fremen spawming next from a sietch. You can reconvert that to appear always, not only when no units are present, a very small guardgroupside to avoid grouping all those new Fremen, and firstattack and timebetweenattack set to 1000 or something like that, so he creates 2 Fremen, he send them, he creates another 2, he send them (or 4-6 at most). But anyway, that's was only an idea. If you want to maintain the rule for all the maps/campaigns with the only spawning if no other units are present that's ok for me too.

Not exactly. buildings don't have vision, only the units. Here is the proof.
ffffr.PNG.9dc0b9fd3e4f8951b130be414dfec7bc.PNGffffr2.PNG.3407c6c7b0266c57452dec4ba5ea4f16.PNG <-- the VCM is already building concrete, but I cannot see anything.

Usually you can see the ally base because the units wandering around it. 

I can tell you, this will happen in the future more times. The culprit is the Time between attacks.
You have exactly this number = 6250
While I was doing my based on Dune 2 campaign, I was using "7500" as the default time between attacks. Being 2 enemies building at a good pace was good, but when only 1 enemy is present (and low tech), the Ai just waits too much, the player has enough time to build everything and the AI only do the "first attack" wave, so I reduced to a half, this means 3750.

I have 6 levels (2 per faction) with only 1 enemy, so all were using that number. What happens? depending of the map (but happening always), the AI stop attacking. Some maps after the 2º wave, others after the fourth, but sooner or later that will happens.

And then, in my mission 9 with three enemies at once 7500 was too opresive, being constatly attacked the player don't have time to rest, so I just added a extra of 50% of time between attacks, this means 11250. Then I test the map and... again... at least 1 of the Ais suddenly stop the attacks, and never attack again.

So... 3750 and 11250 have in commond... they only have 1 zero. I can't tell you the true reason why this makes the AI go dumb, but I guarantee you: happens.
As a workaround I give of them "3751" and "11251" respectively. 3700/3800 and 11200/11300 should be a better choice, but in my stubbornness desire a perfect -50% and +50% from the default 7500.

The problem never happened again, and for this kind of test I always place 50 devastators and let the game play while I set the timer to -2 so I can check the time that has passed. 30 minutes in, and those single/3 enemies still were attacking (and the mission 9 of that campaig take at least 1 hour, so the attacks were still going with the "11251" number).

If you want to make sure that does not happen again, change it to any number with at least 2 zeroes.
Pd: Another reason why a AI can attack less often has to do with the morale attack building.

Oh yeah, I think I remember you talking about that problem. I'll do some more testing and make sure that's fixed.

Haha, yeah! I like to keep ya on your toes :D I just thought it'd be cool to have different sorts of endings for my maps, twists and plot changes and stuff. You know! This is a little different, though, you will definitely be warned during the actual briefing that will be released about Fedaykin retaliation following the destruction of Sietches. Gunseng also mentions to "defend [his] base until a Refinery is established" after the first MCV is deployed, so I thought that would help too. In addition, the briefing will also mention that the Fremen will only defend their territory and that you should attack aggressively and without mercy. Think of it like S1V1 - the Imperials don't attack Sumadi, but you must take the fight to them. That's the idea! H1V1 is the duelist map like S1V2, with an opponent that will actually try to attack you without provocation.

So... fix time to win condition on version 1, adjust sight issues on version 2, get the briefings done, and fix AI derp on level 2. Thanks again, Cm!

Hey, you know where Feda went? He tested the smuggler campaign maps very well and I'd love his feedback again during the testing process for this campaign :D

11 minutes ago, Fey said:

Oh yeah, I think I remember you talking about that problem. I'll do some more testing and make sure that's fixed.

Yeah, that give me a headache. I remember changing plenty of lines and exploring everything, until I notice that "detail".

12 minutes ago, Fey said:

Haha, yeah! I like to keep ya on your toes :D I just thought it'd be cool to have different sorts of endings for my maps, twists and plot changes and stuff. You know! This is a little different, though, you will definitely be warned during the actual briefing that will be released about Fedaykin retaliation following the destruction of Sietches. Gunseng also mentions to "defend [his] base until a Refinery is established" after the first MCV is deployed, so I thought that would help too. In addition, the briefing will also mention that the Fremen will only defend their territory and that you should attack aggressively and without mercy. Think of it like S1V1 - the Imperials don't attack Sumadi, but you must take the fight to them. That's the idea! H1V1 is the duelist map like S1V2, with an opponent that will actually try to attack you without provocation.

Yeah, having the briefing probably help to know a bit better what to expect (more or less). I will wait until more mission are created.

14 minutes ago, Fey said:

Hey, you know where Feda went? He tested the smuggler campaign maps very well and I'd love his feedback again during the testing process for this campaign :D

No idea.

Posted (edited)

I encountered something that maybe you are interested. I found the exact way to trigger the crash related with the "set cash" event.

The game will crash when this two conditions are met:
1: Spending money building something (a tank, an upgrade or a building)
2: The harverster is dropping the spice on the refinery.

If you let the game play by itself (doing nothing) with a "set cash" to loop every few seconds, after some minutes the game still don't crash. If you remove the ref and let the "set cash" loop in the same way, you can do all the upgrades, place buildings, doing orders on the starport... and the game still don't crash.

Seems that repairing units/buildings or doing/undoing orders on the starport are safe for crash.

Edited by Cm_blast

On 5/6/2017 at 9:26 AM, Cm_blast said:

I encountered something that maybe you are interested. I found the exact way to trigger the crash related with the "set cash" event.

The game will crash when this two conditions are met:
1: Spending money building something (a tank, an upgrade or a building)
2: The harverster is dropping the spice on the refinery.

If you let the game play by itself (doing nothing) with a "set cash" to loop every few seconds, after some minutes the game still don't crash. If you remove the ref and let the "set cash" loop in the same way, you can do all the upgrades, place buildings, doing orders on the starport... and the game still don't crash.

Seems that repairing units/buildings or doing/undoing orders on the starport are safe for crash.

That's a huge help! So if the Harvester is returning Spice, AND you're building something, and you add cash, that's RIP for the game?

3 hours ago, Fey said:

That's a huge help! So if the Harvester is returning Spice, AND you're building something, and you add cash, that's RIP for the game?

Yes, this happens also if reducing cash, it's just the "set cash" event that the game can't handle.

5 hours ago, Cm_blast said:

Yes, this happens also if reducing cash, it's just the "set cash" event that the game can't handle.

Interesting. Thanks for finding this, Cm :)

Oh, how odd. I never added the next map I'd completed to this thread? Well, I'll add it now. This was done a few months ago, not sure why I didn't post it here.

Please note that this level is overtuned at the moment, so you may want to peek under the spoiler to even the odds. If you're brave, good luck trying it blind. I left some tips in the placeholder briefing.

H2V2 Details:

Spoiler

H2V2: Placeholder
Defeat Sumadi and Durant alongside an Imperial field commander.
 - Smuggler and mercenary forces have surrounded and pushed on an Imperial commander's position.
 -- Sumadi's main base is directly northwest of your initial position. Durant possesses two bases, one of which guards Sumadi's Starport.
 -- The Imperial commander has access to basic equipment with the occasional Sardaukar unit. He cannot stand alone against these enemies.
 - The coordinated enemy forces must be defeated to ensure victory. However, they have certain weaknesses.
 -- Sumadi relies on Durant for offensive and defensive power and Durant requires Sumadi's aid to keep his economy going. Harass Durant's harvesters to cripple his economy and overwhelm Sumadi with your military might. They may assist each-other, but their resources are not infinite.
 -- Your targets are well coordinated and will strike in unison and support each-other through economic or military reinforcements. To intercept enemy transmissions and get better intel, build an Outpost. Missile Tank reinforcements will be available to shoot down enemy Carryalls, but you only get three of 'em, so make 'em count.

Strategy during testing:
Like I said earlier, I think this level is a tad overtuned at the moment. I'll be reducing the difficulty later, maybe adding grenadiers or an additional missile tank to the reinforcements you get, changing up enemy build rate, etc. Until I figure out what exactly I want to change, this is my strategy for hard mode.

Since we start from scratch with only 7,000 Solaris, normal may allow you plenty of leeway to get up a barracks, light factory, and some refineries, but on hard mode, your resources will be extremely limited. To make matters worse, Durant attacks fiercely and when he's not throwing bodies at the Imperials' one turret, his raiders and quads are eating your harvesters. Or your ally's. I preferred to go Wind Trap > Refinery > Barracks > Wind Trap > Heavy Factory for initial build order so I could start pumping out harvesters. I got a second Refinery up when I had like three or four Harvesters and when my Light Factory was up, and I refrained from upgrading my Barracks for quite some time.

Infantry are powerful, but fragile. There's a LOT of infantry rock all around the map, and near Spice fields, so I leave masses of light infantry on the rocks. They don't come at you with tanks, but it helps to restrict raider movement. They may mass raiders or grenadiers though and you'll need to keep an eye out in case your infantry are getting overwhelmed. A little light vehicle support will help ensure your infantry will survive to heal up. You could also use infantry rock near enemy-controlled Spice fields to fire on harvesters without fear of being run over. There are plenty of infantry-only passages all over the map, but you may need to scatter your infantry before funneling them up or down cliffs so they don't have screwy pathing.

Alternatively, starting with a light factory and massing vehicles will give you great mobility during the defense of your base. This also worked out for me, but you'll benefit a lot from eventually training troopers for the attack on an enemy base.

While your missile tanks will arrive in due time, only building an outpost will allow you to intercept crucial words between Sumadi and Durant at the time they're transmitted. Unless you already know what's going to happen, I'd suggest building an outpost before attacking so you know what kind of aid they'll send each-other, and when. It'll also help you spot attacks on your harvesters!

Each of the three enemy bases has two turrets. The base to the north is split on two islands, and each one has one turret, so that might be a wise first priority target. Sumadi doesn't pose much of a threat on his own and can be safely ignored, unless you really hate stealth raiders or something. Just note that Durant's going to send support if you don't take him out first. Durant, on the other hand, can be significantly weakened by targeting his harvesters and carryalls, and he's a much greater threat to you with his superior military production and fierce attacks. Quads are strongly recommended for taking out his harvesters. Durant's attacks also consist of powerful unit combinations, such as raiders + troopers, or quads + light infantry + grenadiers. Good luck taking out any of his bases.

Once you take out the base north of your position, crushing Sumadi's base and Durant's other position becomes a lot easier. You'll have rid yourself of half of Durant's attack power and Sumadi's starport. Keep your ally's rocket turret at the front of his base safe, be responsive to attacks on your harvesters, and use grenadiers liberally. Good luck and have fun. :D

If you REALLY want to know what the various reinforcement events that can occur are, see below this second spoiler:

Spoiler

1. Destroying one of Durant's carryalls will result in Sumadi sending two raiders and another carryall. This only occurs once, although Durant will continuously see his last harvester replaced until he's finished off. The carryall reinforcement can be prevented by destroying Durant's carryalls after Sumadi's high tech factory has been destroyed.

2. Destroying the turrets at the front of Sumadi's base will prompt Durant to send four raiders and two quads for each light factory still active. Destroy both light factories to prevent mercenary interference. These units are aggressive and will immediately hunt down your forces.

3. Sumadi will receive two additional stealth raiders and three grenadiers if you destroy either of the above targets, no matter what.

4. Destroying Sumadi's high tech factory will cause eight stealth raiders to spawn on the map. These units are aggressive and will immediately hunt down your forces.

5. You will receive three missile tanks not long into the level.

Here are map image previews, so you can see it was built off the original H2V2:

Spoiler

Original:
H2V2_ORIGINAL.thumb.png.20b2a3a144746e57d82cd4bb09ff9873.png

New:
H2V2.thumb.png.38b77e1eeec77327217aa7051cdd0f07.png

And here's a download link:
H2V2.zip

This map was designed with my mod in mind. Please play it with that mod, or you may find the map is in an unintended state. You can find the mod included in the smuggler campaign download:
https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/27508-release-smugglers-campaign/

Have fun and please do let me know what you think. :) And remember, I'm looking for suggestions on how to make the map easier! I have some ideas, but I need outside opinions. If you have any, I'm all ears!

A first draft for H3V1 has been drawn up. It's been tested on hard mode, both with and without capturing the bonus objective. More details can be found in the briefing.

Map comparisons:

Spoiler

ORIGINAL:
H3V1_ORIGINAL.thumb.png.76318fa9dd58def248f51228b3f3cd1f.png
NEW:
H3V1.thumb.png.112380709349ce9aa0b6cf4305ea970a.png

Download link:
H3V1.zip

Please remember to play with the same mod used in my smugglers campaign.

This map pits you against entrenched and fiercely defensive Atreides forces. You have the option of capturing a smuggler base in order to boost your economy and receive reinforcements, but it's unnecessary. If you decide you do want the goodies, remember that Summers is both crafty and vengeful. She won't take kindly to your meddling in her affairs and she'll likely seek revenge at the nearest opportunity.

There is a friendly AI, Gunseng, with a Palace on this map. This seems excessive and I plan to remove it. The smuggler base bonus objective and Atreides forces are enough for H3V1.

As always, I look forward to any feedback y'all might have for me. Thank you.