1880s Passenger Accommodations

The article from which I have been making posts have some information on what was in use for passenger travel in those early years.   I have tried to shorten the article's lengthy explanations.

First Class fare was $100 from OMA to SAC.

Luxurious and plush seats.   An extra fee could obtain seats which could be converted into a berth. But means had to be taken at whistle stops, although for another extra fee of $4.00 a day, meals could be taken on board.  In this case there was not description as to what the meals consisted.

Secon Class had a fee of $80.  Padded seats, but they had to sleep in their seats.  Accommodations could be had at lower prices for "short haul" passengers.  These and the Day Coach passengers had to get their meals at whistle stops.

Day Coaches for the short haul pasengers and Emigants was $40.  There were fitted narrow seats along the walls.  There was initially a barrel stove in the far end of the car, but later it was replaced with a Pot belly stove. 

>>>>>>>>>>>

Oh, there were special cars for those who could affort it.  These were Pullman Parlor Cars.  Plush upholstery, rich hangings, and hand carved inlaid paneling.  The Day and Night accommodations:: hinged upper berth well upholstered.   Hinged seats that could be flattened for night travel.

Top of the line of luxury::  Hotel Express trains, which had all right-of-way.   A Fine Diners Car was part of the train, serving luxurious 12 course meals.   Breakfast of beef steak, fried eggs, fried potatoes, and "delicious chicken stew".  (Actually it was prairie chicken.)

Dinners of blue winged teal, antelope stek, roast beef, boiled ham and tongue, broiled chicken, corn of cob, fresh fruit, hot rolls, corn bread, and fresh trout.

>>>>>>>>>>Now in all of these articles, there was not any mention to that of toliet facilities.  Possibly a small enclosure for regular passenger trains, but private comodes for the Hotel Express.

As a youngester myself, the toilet facilites would be locked prior to entering towns.  The reason?? Well anything flushed went onto the ground.     Not too appealing for passengers and onlookers waiting for their friends/famly to get off the train, for for those passengers to board embark.  LOL 

Hope you enjoy.  :)

I enjoy the history you present.

Here are a few special purpose passenger Cars:

1.  I wonder what happened to Lincoln's funereal car?  It was large and had 16 wheels.  I believe it had a few seats and places for family. 

It was available so soon after Lincoln's death.  I  believe it was about finished and built as a private car for someone wealthy, who

after Lincolns' use, took it back.

2.  The Drover caboose.  It was an extra long caboose that took the cowboys and their gear, Saddles, etc. back home after a cattle drive.

It had seats at one end and a storage space at the other end.   Most had a cupola on top for the train crew

3.   Civil War Hospital cars.  The wounded were on stretchers and hung 4 or 5 high from the ceiling with rubber straps to smooth out the rough ride.

4.  Short haul Industrial Passenger cars for mines, logging etc.  I even read about a passenger car equipped with sails that ran on a beach. 

Just wanted to say, I also enjoy these snippets of history. I like the snippet-type format. Thanks for making summaries that are short and concise! That's one of the best ways to learn new stuff, Thanks!

PS. I spare a thought for the poor track workers having to work along the busy tracks which had much human waste on them. ???