Looking for a map: middle stretch of Cape-to-Cairo

lly

Recently picked up RT2 again and started banging around on the old unfinished Ethiopian map. Given how interesting the actual French project was (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/rail_transport_in_Ethiopia), I might turn it into a proper scenario. I was curious, though:

There are Africa-long maps in the base game and a few player-made corrections of those maps, but I can recall another scenario that only had the still-unfinished middle stretch of the Cape-to-Cairo railway as its objective: it was probably colonial-period but covered eastern Zaire, western Tanzania, southern Sudan, and Uganda and Rwanda and Burundi between them. Can anyone remember what I'm talking about or link to it?

(Fair notice: My memory might be off and it might be a RT3 map. That said, I can't find it at the usual map sites or via Google-fu, so I thought I'd ask the guys who still come by here.)

Did you make the one available in the downloads section called Ethiopia that doesn't have any events yet?

I believe you may be thinking of the RT3 campaign scenario called "Rhodes Unfinished". It starts just after Cecil Rhodes died. It's your job to finish his work and make the connection from North to South that he dreamed about.

That might very well be it.

Re: Ethiopia, no, I didn't make that map. It's a very fun one, even though it's missing any events and some of the names are off. If I finish editing it into a proper treatment of the Imperial Ethiopian, I'll post something here.

[i've actually gotten distracted trying to make an 1880 map of the Dakar to Djibouti run, but that's a 100 x 500 area and I'll probably get distracted again—e.g., by that RT3 scenario—before I finish. Besides, the way the scenario would make sense would be to have enough troops carted into Mahdist Sudan permitting a rewrite of Fashoda. I don't think, however, that there's a way to force the barracks to produce troops any earlier than 1905, by which time everything's over and the path is blocked.]

Jeffryfisher made a mod of the .exe and .lng files that enables all the military cargoes in time for the American Civil War for his US History mega-map. As a bundle (map + these and other files) it is available here: http://forum.dune2k.com/topic/23138-us-history/#. There are some instructions here: http://forum.dune2k.com/topic/24601-what-you-need-to-play-us-history-map/.

My mod is based on v1.56, the last patch of the "Platinum" CD game. It will not launch without a RR Tycoon CD in an optical drive, so my mod can't help those with the steam or Gold versions of the game.

Pretty sure those of us who are still playing have the most up-to-date version available (and if they don't, they can pick one up if they're just dying to build the Transafricain).

This should be perfect, so I'm so glad I stopped by here. =) Thanks, guys!

edit: Oh... it doesn't work with the Steam version of the same form of the game? That'll make it harder for newbies. If I get really hung up on that, though, I can always ask for pointers in what to look for in modding that version. (I'm old enough to have the originals.)