"Making Mods?"

WesBennig

I am "trying" to make mods. I've been experimenting ??? with DuneEx2. I've got a Model folder in the DATA folder containing my versions of the Art.txt and Rules.txt files. Yet, whenever I start the game it freezes up right after it says "Contacting Field Operatives."  :-[

What the hell?

;)Thanx, but it seems to happen everytime I try to Open or Add a new unit. I can still edit existing units and that leads me to believe that I either did something wrong, or didn't do something I should have in Art.txt or Rules.txt. Did I type something in the wrong place, or do these units need a property I didn' give them, or do I need to erase something.....? :-[

For every uinit, you need a valid artini reference, stating the xbf model they use (and preferably the icons they use as well). If in doubt, copy and paste the trike's entry (it's pretty generic, as is the model) - changing the unit name, like [ATTrike] to the same as in the rules.txt.

Failing that, check what you've done to the rules file - it may contain something the game considers illegal.

ok.... I figured it'djust be better to start from scratch. I reinstalled E:BFD and am now going to begin again. Is there anything a newbie like me wouldnt know, like: Is there a limit to the number of units each building and Subhouse can build? How can I correctly add my own Icons?

Thanx

Ok, i tried copying the trike just as you suggested and my game didnt freeze, but it didnt give me the trike. So heres what i did: 1) used DuneEx2 to extract Rules and Art files from MODEL directories. 2) copied the ATTrike and changed its house, building, and unitgroup to HK. 3) Opened a new folder in  Emperor/ DATA  and named it MODEL. 4) Saved edited files to MODEL folder. ......I'll tell you, im starting to believe i have some sort of mental defect for not getting this to work now :P ??? :-[ :'(

??? Hey, one more thing (im sure everyones tired of endless barrage of questons by now). I've unlocked the TLFlyer and the GUScavenger and the GUNIAP and the carryalls will land on units but wont pick them up while the NIAP wont shoot (although it will target). What can i do, if anything?

......ok, back to the ADVCarryalls. I've unlocked the Stunt Frigate and its th same deal as with the TLFlyer and the GUScavenger; ALL of them have ADVCarryall = TRUE, and yet they all only land on vehicles and remain stuck. They just dont take off with units. what can i turn on/ off to make them behave?