Wales Map (Work in Progress)

Hi,

Having recently taken up RRTII after many years, I found myself rather disappointed with the map of Wales that was available... so I've begun work on a more realistic rendition of Cymru  8)

d3gl.jpg

It's very large, 500 x 500 and will feature all the major towns that were part of the original Rail network prior to the Beeching report (plus other towns/villages for players to expand to). North Wales will prove difficult, and whoever endeavors to link up the Gog's might consider Anglesey as a good start.

This is a work in progress, and I'm still getting used to the editor - working on it in between my new N scale layout based on the Cambrian Coast  :D

On a side note: is it possible to edit the name of resources to give maps a more local flavor?

If you look at your game's EXE file, you'll see a language file in the same directory (default2.lng). It's designed to allow the game to be ported to other countries in other languages. I think the names of resources (and buildings and much more) are all in there.

It's a plain-text file with some structure to enable reading into the game. It can be edited in a plain-text editor (but don't dare use Word to save it in DOC format or anything like that -- it must remain plain-text). You can replace all kinds text strings (including all newspaper side-stories) and save your "Welsh" version with a special extension added to the end of its name. Then, if you include it in the zip file, some of us might put it in our RRT folder and (temporarily) fiddle the file names to use your file in place of our own.

As usual, back-up your original before going to work on it.

There are many threads that discuss the use of the editor in this forum.  Just go back and post on an old thread and it will update itself.

The original CDs had a lot of informatiom.  The newer Steam CD is very basic.   If you have a question,  just ask here on the forum. 

PS :  I found this game took me away from my trains.  E scale, running on N scale track.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am not a player liking mountainous terrains.    However, I do attempt to play them, as if a person takes their time in such creations, there should be some consideration from players to at least make an attempt to play them.    With that said, I like the graphics of the terrain, and am looking forward to it completion to be posted. :)