About Dunefying other games...

Falconius

i'm going to start working on starcraft now. About a year ago i tried Dunefying tiberian sun -> the only problem then was the 2 houses thing. The best games for Dunefication at this point (in my oppinion) is Opperation Flashpoint for firstperson or SuddenStrike for strat. Ghost Recon would have been good but the map is too small -> Tribes2 would work well though exept the choppers and tanks in flashpoint is the best in any FPS. i'm aware of the fact that Suddenstrike2 is on its way and judgeing from the screenshots it will be  ;D (no words). So i'll wait on that for Dune MOD purposes. But going with starcraft for now is the best -> you can do almost as much with starcraft as you can do with Tiberian Sun but alot quicker and easier. Emperor as we all now know is terribly limited for MODing and especially for custom map making. Altough i only made 2 maps i know i'm right on that point (Rocky Throne + Dagger Horizon).

Would those working on starcraft also post here so i can see if we might work together?

Ok, so my views arn't popular. There are too many flaws in WW games. i share a house with other RTS playin guys (we have a LAN) and they flatout refuse to touch any WW games because of the rediculous lack of realism thats always involved. RA2 is seen as a real 'kiddie game' for example and i can't blame 'em cause you have units that are downright stupid -> >:( >:( armies of squids and tanks that change into trees...

Emperor has everything -> the music, the graphics, the atmosphere... all exept the real nuts and bolts otherwise known as "the game". What is Emperor about? Harvest, and build alot of units, and attack. Thats been done in other games. Thats why Emperor didn't top any charts. Just us Dune bunch took any notice. In my mod i tried my utmost to break the  >:( Westwood clone'n conquer chain. The only way i could see to do it is to try and shift the game focus to the use of defensive fronts as opposed to the traditional massive single spearhead rush. The only way to do it is a one-shot-one-kill on unit level mod that would force players to carefully probe and secure the map and avoid suicidal rushing.

Too bad most of this will be incomrehensible to those here who swear by Westwood...

Do yourself a favour and try the Suddenstrike Demo. Me and my bro used to go to easyeverything in SouthKensington download and play -> great fun. Alot of the focus in that game lies with deceiving your enemy into wasting time preparing for a attack on one front while you really intend to hit him on another. One small tip -> you can give whole lists of orders to a unit by holding down shift key. Like tell a truck to - go somewhere unload troops - head back to base - get fieldgun - deliver fieldgun somewhere else - head back to base for more orders, all that while it is still bussy doin something else! Really handy with howitzer firing coordinates -> watch your ammo though...

Yes vidiware, i saw and considered working on my old TS mod. It would be a difficult decision to actually work on it again. TS has the best rules.ini of all WW's games but if i recall correctly you will need to use 3rd party map progs like Finalsun and it isn't too userfriendly. It would take a long time to make a desent dune map for TS. Then there is the uncomfortable issue of tiberian vs spice -> in my mod i changed the colour of the tiberian to dark orange but it would be best to replace it with custom graphics. i would mail you my old mod but i need your permission. Strange how badly Emperor compares to TS -> i'm sure anyone working on mods for these 2 games would agree. i supose WW came to the conclusion that the bigger market lies with more superficial and less intelligent games. As long as the graphics are nice it will sell. i don't blame them too much though -> this was after all their first 3D RTS. Don't expect much from this Generals though..