What you need to play US History map

jeffryfisher

By request from GWiz:

I guess I need to write a better readme file and make sure it is included in the zip uploaded to the US History thread. In this thread, we will figure out what's missing.

To play US History, you first need RR Tycoon II Platinum (or maybe 2nd Century). Then you need to put my map into your maps folder. That's all you need.

To get the most from my map, it would help to "mod" the game (after backing it up of course). Only the CD version can be replaced by my mod. If you have Steam's online version (or just don't want mess with modded software), then you can still play the map, but you'll miss a couple industries. Some events around the civil war won't make much sense (because the original game does not activate military industries that early), but that's just a minor thing that can be ignored.

If you can and do want to mod the game, then start by putting my RT2_PLAT.EXE.j10x2 and default2.lng.x2 into the same directory as your original RT2_PLAT.EXE and default2.lng.

Then change the names of your original RT2_PLAT.EXE and default2.lng. I recommend adding another extension to each to indicate that they're your originals.

Then strip the extra extensions from my mods (the .j10x2 and the .x2), leaving them named like the originals had been a few minutes ago.

Before running anything, scan what's now named RT2_PLAT.EXE for viruses. There aren't any at my end, but sometimes things happen in transit or storage, and I don't want to be blamed for viruses picked up somewhere along the way. Do the scan as soon as its in a position to be run (i.e. immediately after stripping off the extra extension).

After passing virus inspection, try your usual shortcut to run it. I recommend the shortcut because that's what contains your compatibility settings.

Please let me know what you see above that is new or different from what I wrote before. Feel free to ask more questions if I left out anything.

• 7 months later...

Bump --------------------  I'm bumping this US History Map thread to the top of the list.

I found out why RRT2 was not playing on Windows 7. 

The game didn't like the zip program I was using.   Found some maps I stored on The 7s hard drive. 

I haven't looked through the whole list yet.  The South America map I was missing, may be one of the two listed.