The Chicago railroad group, new Map

Gwizz

This map was almost moribund except for my interest in an area that had a huge influx of railroad activity in 1934.

With so many Railroads in operation in and around Chicago, there was no room on the RT2 map to place them all.

I developed a merged empire of 9 Railroads. Even then I had room for only some of their trackage. I decided to not list these RRs by name.

I called this empire, The Chicago Railroad Group. I also picked 11 AI RR Chairmen to each start up another railroad. Most do with in a year.

Only one Canadian Railroad was picked to represent Canada's rail. The details for play is listed as part of the map.

The attachment is not permitted to upload. Well I guess I will have to figure out another way to attach a MP2 map file

This map was almost moribund except for my interest in an area that had a huge influx of railroad activity in 1934.

With so many Railroads in operation in and around Chicago, there was no room on the RT2 map to place them all.

I developed a merged empire of 9 Railroads. Even then I had room for only some of their trackage. I decided to not list these RRs by name.

I called this empire, The Chicago Railroad Group. I also picked 11 AI RR Chairmen to each start up another railroad. Most do with in a year.

Only one Canadian Railroad was picked to represent Canada's rail. The details for play is listed as part of the map.

The attachment is not permitted to upload. Well I guess I will have to figure out another way to attach a MP2 map file

Looks like an interesting map and a lot of work put into it. But I must confess the business-centric scenarios, the wheeling/dealing with AIs, have never captured my interest. Or maybe they're just over my head, as I've never been much interested in business, generally, in real life. I guess maybe that's why I'm just scraping by. ???

Anyway, I released the pause key and had no idea where to begin or what to do....since the only thing I know and do well is building a RR from scratch. In these scenarios, I feel like a new CEO who conned his way into the job, but is utterly clueless. We seem to see more of those every day. :)

But thanks - I always look forward to trying your new maps.

Thanks for the feed back, CrownVic95.

This is a builders map where you manage and build on to 2 or 3 RRs and where you control and build on to 11 other AI railroads as they start up during the first year.

On my last game I missed earning double Gold. (a game that ended with a margin call that booted me out of the stock market in the last 3 months of the 5 year period. I expected to lose as I started to merge the AI RRs way too early)

I started by buying a controlling percent of the stock in the Chicago RR. I sold some of the stock in the Canadian RR keeping over 51% controlling percent of it.

I then floated bonds and stocks to take both of the RRs out of the red. I then added some track and routed trains on both RRs.

Next I started a 3rd railroad and used it to only buy locomotives. I gave it one locomotive and one station that was connected to one of my mainline stations. I planned to merge it when I needed more locos.

Next I took control of the Chicago RR and started the game and ran it for two months until the first AI started up. At this point I buy controlling interest in each AI RR as they start up and route the trains to feed a Chicago RR station or industry.

I spend some time looking for the most profitable city routes for my trains, knowing I can add industry stations later since AI RRs only route to cities. I give no services to the AIs (Water Sand etc) I plan to do this quickly after I merge them.

I was told that my maps tend to be puzzle maps. In a way they are, as finding profit is the key to success. The map is fairly well balanced and can be played just for fun and still earn you the gold win. Double gold will be harder to achieve.

Thanks for the feed back, CrownVic95.

This is a builders map where you manage and build on to 2 or 3 RRs and where you control and build on to 11 other AI railroads as they start up during the first year.

On my last game I missed earning double Gold. (a game that ended with a margin call that booted me out of the stock market in the last 3 months of the 5 year period. I expected to lose as I started to merge the AI RRs way too early)

I started by buying a controlling percent of the stock in the Chicago RR. I sold some of the stock in the Canadian RR keeping over 51% controlling percent of it.

I then floated bonds and stocks to take both of the RRs out of the red. I then added some track and routed trains on both RRs.

Next I started a 3rd railroad and used it to only buy locomotives. I gave it one locomotive and one station that was connected to one of my mainline stations. I planned to merge it when I needed more locos.

Next I took control of the Chicago RR and started the game and ran it for two months until the first AI started up. At this point I buy controlling interest in each AI RR as they start up and route the trains to feed a Chicago RR station or industry.

I spend some time looking for the most profitable city routes for my trains, knowing I can add industry stations later since AI RRs only route to cities. I give no services to the AIs (Water Sand etc) I plan to do this quickly after I merge them.

I was told that my maps tend to be puzzle maps. In a way they are, as finding profit is the key to success. The map is fairly well balanced and can be played just for fun and still earn you the gold win. Double gold will be harder to achieve.

Thanks for the tips.

I'll give it another try when I get a chance, but not sure when that will be. I start a second job today in an effort to keep up with the geometrically skyrocketing Bay Area rental rates AND I must move within 2 weeks to a place that I'm still searching for.

If I had it to do over, never in a million years would I move to this area. But now I'm stuck here as it milks you of every penny just to survive.

I have had relatives and friends who use to live in SF. They moved.

I have enjoyed visits to SF. Seattle is about the same. I now life outside of the city.

By law (A vote by the people) the state can't charge more than $30.00 for auto tags. My car tag were just renewed for $63.75. It seems I'm helping to pay for the mass transit system that I don't use and our area voted no for floating bonds.

Maybe the State of Washington just made a mistake and over charged me??????? :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: >:(

I think I will look at an earlier version of the Chicago Map and maybe i'll simplify the merger and let Mr. Hill build the railroad from scratch. Some thing to think about? :)

I simplified the Chicago Map. The new version is called Chicago Railroad 1.82X

I removed some of Chicago's RR trackage and a few stations mostly around Chicago. They were too close together. I changed the Diesel's speed and cost.

Made a number of small changes. Other wise the map will play about the same, but be easier to manage. To off-set this I reduced the debt load.

I start by routing Canada's trains, so they both make a profit within Canada's boundaries while a few deliver cargo to a US station. Where possible to a US demand industry.

Next, I sell some of the Canadian RR stock, but I keep no less than 51% of Canadian RR stock so I can return and control it.

Next, I float all the bonds I possible can for both railroads. (Normally 10 million each, less debt)

Next, I buy controlling interest in Chicago RR stock. Taking control, I buy back stock if necessary and move my flag to become the new chairman of Chicago's Railroad Group.

If necessary, I route the trains on short routes for quick albeit small profits. I route 2 or 3 six car mail trains on fast long routes to give me later profits.

I may add a little track to build profitable routes and where needed I build larger stations. I will often wait until I get a better manager and/or are done with the other manager.

Next after more train routing, I run the map. The first month I normal lose money. As I start making a profit I pay off a few bonds and get ready for merging an AI RR.

On this run of the map, on month 2, 3 AI RR started up. I maxed out their bonds. (2 million each) I checked the managers and choose the one AI with the cheapest manager for track building.

Using this AI, I build track to high value industry that makes the best profit. Another AI may be used to only buy electric locomotives. I Mark these AIs in their titles (merge)

Next I pick the AIs that I won't merge. I use these to deliver low value cargo to my industries. I title these as SL, (short lines) If an AI chairman owns almost 51 percent of his stock,

I wait a few months before merging this AI RR and let the value of his stocks drop in value. If I merge too soon, he will build his next RR and will own more than 51% of his stock

blocking my first chance to control this AI.

Month 3 two AIs started up. I was able to take control of a 40% track building manager by moving a manager up or down in the list until I could hire him.

The other AI RR was used a short line hauling milk.

Month 5 One AI RR started up and I used him and his 25% manager to build over my track with double Electric track. I had earned enough to buy some GG1s and pay off 2 milliom of my bonds.

If I merge an AI and his bonds added to my bonds total more than 10 million, I cant pay off the amount over 10 million. (A bug in the game) The map's Double Gold Win has a no debt requirement.

I've reached the end of year 1 and two AIs have not yet started up. Normally they all start RRs. I did merge 2 AIs and they restared. One I don't have control of. I put a station & train at each end of his railroad to wait for a 6 car full load that will run to a close by demand industry and return empty. The waiting causes the AI to sell stock until I can merge it. Once in a while this doesn't work.

Next I will start replacing expensive to operate steam with Electric GG1s. I use mostly the 1020 electic to run on the short lines. When possible I use the GG1s on the RRs I plan to merge.

Because of the GG1s low operating expenses,. The GG1 can make an AI RR profitable. I have yet to try the F-3 diesel. I have made it run more efficiently in the new version of the map.

Chicago Railroads 1.82x.zip

On this game play, I merged an AI too soon and the AI chairman started a another AI RR with 11 blocks of stock owner ship. I bought the other 9 blocks of shares.

He sold one block of shares which I bought. But, 50% is not enough.

The AI track had crossed 2 cells over my track to reach one of his stations. I built a small station next to the AI town station and a 2nd station back over the crossing 3 cells.

I routed a 6 car passenger/mail train between my two stations. The train would reach one station before the last car left the other station.

I Set my train for no waiting. The AI's trains both entered their station over the crossing. They were then blocked for over a year.

It was interesting the AI RR showed no expenditures or profits for one year. I expected some expenditures. Must have received some stimulus money under the table.

or somehow benefited when I bought that one block of shares.

Starting a new year and one AI train got loose. But then, I should see some AI expenditures this year.

Only one of the AI trains leaves and returns at a time. The AI is making money: so, I stopped hauling empty passenger/mail trains.

I'm now hauling only full passengers/mail trains. waiting for 3 passenger and 3 mail on each train, one train at each end of the AI's line. The AI is still making money.

I need to merge him to win Double Gold. With a 50/50 stock ownership, I might be able to squeeze out a merger. But then I only have a little over 2 years, two changes, I might lose the Double Gold again.

I started again and have 67 million company value in mid 1935, so I feel confident I'll get gold easily and maybe double gold.

But here's the problem....and it's not a problem with the map, but with the game itself. Mature games - games that have been built up with lots of trains, track, and stations - aren't very much fun. My greatest enjoyment of the game has always been in the first few years after you connect your first 2 cities and go after your first freight/raw material sources. Years into the game when you have a dozen or two cities connected and 50 trains to keep running profitably and efficiently, it becomes more work and drudgery than fun. Sometimes I push myself to keep going if I want the medals badly enough and sometimes I just say enough and start a new game to rekindle the enjoyment.

I think Phil understood this and attempted a solution in RT3 with the consist manager, but in doing so he threw the baby out with the bathwater when he revamped the economy.

We need a RRTII/RT3 hybrid.

"I think Phil understood this and attempted a solution in RT3 with the consist manager, but in doing so he threw the baby out with the bathwater when he revamped the economy.

We need a RRTII/RT3 hybrid."

Thanks again for the feed back.

I agree. I complained to Poptop that RT3 lacked some important parts of what made RT2 great.

While testing RRT3, I believe we were ignored during the last phases of the game beta. The game was quickly pushed to final completion. some components in development were dropped.

I believe Phil was no longer in charge at that point and started his own company for building educational software. The Poptop group seems to have split and gone separate directions.

I believe Franz may still be working in the Seattle area.

Back to the map: I may have the same play style as you do and find most maps tend to lose my interest in their ending years.

On the Chicago Map, I considered having Hill take control without ownership of US locomotives.

The story line was to have all US locomotives bought by Hill. This would be less realistic.

The Canadian Railroad was going to be in three parts sending cargo to collection points at the US border.

As it turned out: The AIs that start up, give me a lot of building time during the first year, but for the 2nd year less building to do except for the Chicago RR.

I tend to milk the AI RRs too much, making them unprofitable. A 5 year game seems too long. A three year or even a 2 year game might be better.

I do have AI RRs startup later in the game when I merge them.

On long runs, it takes a year for a train to make a round trip. To shorten the game would mean more trains and maybe more cities to generate enough income.

I uploaded a simpler Chicago Map but have not spent enough time playing it yet.

Yard work has taken too much of my time of late. We may get some 80 degree weather in a few day. If it get too hot I'm coming back inside. 60 to 70 degrees is about right outside

Passed the 3 year mark with 145 million and debt free, with enough Company Net Worth for Double Gold; But, I still have an IA chairmen that won't give up ownership and let me merge him.

I how have 4 of my trains picking up his cargos; Yet he is picking up enough cargo from thin air to be gaining a bit of net worth.

I need a dump in the economy to put a kink in his ability to buy cargo to haul.

Passed the 3 year mark with 145 million and debt free, with enough Company Net Worth for Double Gold; But, I still have an IA chairmen that won't give up ownership and let me merge him.

I how have 4 of my trains picking up his cargos; Yet he is picking up enough cargo from thin air to be gaining a bit of net worth.

I need a dump in the economy to put a kink in his ability to buy cargo to haul.

Yes, that "thin air" syndrome is quite remarkable, isn't it? I've seen it time and time again.

An AI can connect two cities and run one or two trains with passengers only and be at the top of the revenue list with multi-millions for years on end. When I do the same thing, investors are utterly fed up in short order. ???

I held the IA for the first year to Zero income.

Second year: he earned about $140K

Third year: about $900K ,--------- Stopped trying to block his trains and I now haul away all his cargo.

Forth year: He still earned about $50K

Started 5th year. 3rd month He has earned Zero K to date. Now I'm cooking. But, not much time left.

I normally run about 50 to 75 locos. For this game I now have had 250 locos running for about a year and 1/2 . Many of my trains have about reached their stations. I will see if the expected gobs of money coming just in time will win this game. I have one heck of a traffic jam in Chicago. I'm routing all trains away from Chicago. Built some extra trackage to do this

Running the final 9 months is a to-do for tomorrow.

The challenge continues:

built a 5 million cash reserve. Added a few GG1s to replace the last of my steam locos and just watched Brunel's AI railroad for a chance to merge him.

In August I was holding him at a zero profit. Then I saw him filling both of his trains with mail and passengers while the train I had placed there was sitting with 6 empty cars.

I then remembered I had made a mistake and rerouted my robber baron train while on pause, thus taking it out of being first in line. I routed it back, still on pause, but no longer in first place, I guess.

It was time to try using my reserve money to merge this AI before his AI trains reached the second station. I threw money at Brunel, about triple the merge-able price. Brunel took it.

Now he was very rich and could start another railroad. I sold the extra stock in my RR keeping 51% ownership to mike my stock more attractive to Brunel. He took the bait and bought 24 blocks of my stock.

As it turned out, I didn't need to offer the bait, as I made enough money to pay off the company debt and win Double Gold when September rolled in.

I'm going to play on until the end of the year to see if what I did for congestion in Chicago made a difference. Too many trains that were only passing through Chicago hauling valuable cargo were stuck there.

My solution was to reroute trains away from Chicago and buy more locos ending up with 266 trains. I did stop a number of trains that were not making a profit.

I ended up with 161 million for Company Net Worth and minus 8.6 million for Personal Net Worth. Good thing I didn't make Person Net Worth a win requirement.