Event Limitations

akuenzi

I saw a post made by Jeff on his U.S. History map about income taxes. This is an event I've considered trying to program in the past, but I confess I'm stumped. To my knowledge, there's no 'event' that does the following: deduct from cash an amount that is x% of current year net income. Or is it possible? If it is, please do inform! :)

There have been all kinds of ideas that go through my mind on the types of events I'd like to do, but despite there being tons of triggers and events available, it is still quite limiting as to what a person can do.

Here's an example. One thought I had was to create an event that had to do with fuel. Let's say a player chooses to 'purchase' a coal mine. Let's say that during the steam era, I'd like to give the player a break on his fuel cost for purchasing this mine. Wouldn't it make some sense that if the tycoon owns the coal mine, he might use the coal in his trains? Not exclusively, of course, as there are distance factors involved depending on where the mine is located, but it would likely cut his cost somewhat. I'd like an event that would be able to see if the player owns a mine, and then give a discount on fuel costs accordingly. The same could be said for oil and diesel, or even the power plant for electric.

There are other instances where I can do a calculation in the 'trigger' section... and then wish I could use the trigger calculation as part of the impact on the effect. Know what I mean? But it seems we have to use the sliders to generate the effect.

Maybe this is just part of the 'wish list' for Open Railroad Tycoon II!

The variables can be set to the results of triggers. Other events can then deduct cash and ratchet down variables. My corporate income tax fires at the end of each year, adding the trigger amount to a variable for each company.

At each month-start, two other events eat company cash if the company has more than a certain amount of tax due. One bites big, and the other bites small. Those events work all year long if necessary to collect the tax. If there's any remainder (perhaps an amount too small to trigger collection), then the year-end tax calc adds to it.