Bulldozing Trees

There were some posts a few months back mentioning that some players bulldoze all trees ahead of track building. I've tried doing that, but what I find (I think) is that it costs me as much to bulldoze as to pave over, and my company loses goodwill besides. Was there some special reason to bulldoze? If not, then I think I'll preserve goodwill by avoiding bulldozing as much as I can.

Hmmm... I wonder if that means that you must pay for the same trees multiple times if you bulldoze and rebuild track (such as when re-grading early-cash-poor builds).

Still, on a map where I must buy my way into many territories (and track-building rights alone can cost $1-2 million), I don't like to put my goodwill into the toilet.

Does goodwill do anything else besides moving the prices of territory rights?

I believe goodwill can increase depending upon how well you serve the community.

(Not making passengers or cargo wait and delivering to the communities that have needs, in a timely manner)

The higher the goodwill the better you are served by the community. Or, something like that.

I pay little attention to good will. Maybe that is why my good will is always in the bottom of the tank.

Since rot time is slowed or extended for cargo that is on the train while the train waits for more cargo to load

while the cargo waiting in the station and not on a train, quickly rots.

The cargo under a yellow flag that is not sold, stays on the train and retain a greater value. I normally run all trains on a red flag. It seems easier doing it that way. But I do lose money doing it that way.

I've often wondered if I loaded all cargo waiting at a station and then add another cargo that isn't at the station but is expected shortly, would that add to my goodwill and possible a bit more profit for the train?

• 2 weeks later...

Just a guess, but besides moving the price of territory rights, maybe goodwill affects shareholder voting on mergers, also how much money the public will cough up should you start a new company.

That's unlikely since goodwill is a per-territory value. It should affect things related to territories, like maybe revenue for deliveries to a territory, or maybe productivity within a territory.

Goodwill in territories where you have track goes up and down according to what you deliver, or fail to deliver (however that gets worked out). As it does, so does goodwill in territories you haven't bought rights in yet. Maybe you have a basic global goodwill with territory-specific modifiers. .. Richard