[RELEASE] _PRAC.MIS files for online gaming

Feda

This archive contains _PRAC.MIS files that will let you to play the following game types:

*) 2 human players vs. 4 AI players

*) 3 human players vs. 3 AI players

Note that the humans will be allied from the beggining of the game. (the same for AI), so no need to select a unit and hit the "A" key.

For now, these files work only in Comp Stomp mode (humans vs. AI) but can be edited to work also for 2v2 matches between humans. Also note that a 2 humans vs 3 AI or 2 humans vs 2 AI is posible. How? Just add 2 AI players for 2v2 or 3 AI players for 2v3 instead of 4 AI for 2v4.

All the players MUST HAVE the same _PRAC.MIS file for the game to work. If not, you'll crash.

*** These files have been tested by my clanmate [aKa]Deliutsaa:x, Digit@l and me and are fully operational. But if you find something that isn't ok, let me know. You can also edit them using MVI's editor. I've uploaded them just to give the possibility to play against ALLIED AI players. As you know, without an alliance the AI players are really weak.

ReadMe included, read it for installation instructions and other things :) Hope you like them and hope that they will help you!

EDIT: The 2nd archive containes a .MIS file that can be used only in Practice singleplayer mode. Will make all the AI players that you introduce to ally against you. Useful to train your surviving abilities and to play under pressure xD

_PRAC.MIS files.zip

1 v 5.zip

2v2v2.zip

• Upvote 1

Maybe if we'll learn more about this _PRAC.MIS file we'll be able to play "campaign mission" type of maps online.. But it seems that your editor can't edit them. If we put events and conditions nothing happenes. Maybe some day we'll have the posibility to fully edit the _PRAC.MIS. It is related to LAN and online play. :) hope tha you'll research this file. If you'll find a solution, it could be a HUGE improvement in Dune2k.

Awesome, just changed one of the houses to be my ally in practice mode. This should make practice a lot more interesting! Nice find, do you mind if I add them to http://mvinetwork.co.uk/dune (with full credit of course.) I'm planning on turning that page into a new place for Dune 2000 modding downloads (since the admins can no longer edit dune2k.com's main site).

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of IDA Pro/Hex Rays, which is what I'd need to decompile Dune, since the other decompilers I've tried don't work with Dune. CCHyper may be some help there.

If we get the multiplayer server that Gruntlord was looking into working we'd then not only have a community controlled internet server, we'd also have the ability to process and manipulate data on the server. This would mean that we'd be able to invent our own co-op campaign missions and add a lot of new functionality and our own modes. Including CTF, king of the hill, domination, etc.. This could then be integrated with a program that hooks into the game's DirectX rendering, to render messages and special CTF markers with not too much trouble. (This is how mod speedometers in games like GTA work for example). This is a very exciting opportunity in my view.

I'd love these files to be on your website. and also hope that the server will be operational soon. In my opinion that game types that you listed above will lure more ppl into Dune2k. They will represent a revolution for this game.

Also, i talked in a topic (don't know where) about the indexes in the _PRAC.MIS file. Only index 1 and 2 seems to be a good Ai player. The rest will take a pause after the construction of a Heavy Factory and a Turret (at least that's what I've observed). In a day i tried to change that index allocations to: 6 (for atreides = human player) then 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1. i'm not sure if they worked, but I think that the rest of AIs built like the first two (so they were good). But I repeat I'm not sure if this works and also there was an dited CFG file that allowed me to play with 7 Ai players. Can be found somewhere on the forum. Need to test a little more this feature.

Btw, if in practice we are able to play in 8 players, maybe we'll can play with 8 players online. but I know, 2 or 3 players have the same color, fact which is not very good.

I upload here the second release. (version 1.1). The two attachments from the first posts that came after the main archive have been added here. So this archive contains all the 5 _PRAC.MIS files ( 2v4, 3v3, 1v5, 2v2v2v2 and original backup 1v1v1v1v1v1 FFA). Download this one instead of first because is complete.

_PRAC.MIS version 1.1.zip

great, thx :) i will release soon a new version which will contain prac.mis files for the "8 player patch" as I like to call it.. the modification of skirmish.uil that allows u to play in practice not against only 5 AI, but 7.