Dune Readthrough

Lord J

Hi folks,

I'm reading the original Dune again, for the first time in (believe it or not) several years. I know the world, the basic plot, and a few of the main ideas fairly well, but I just finished the first chapter and there are certain ideas that feel brand new. For example, Paul's sense of rightness, and how that interacts with the Bene Gesserit ideal; the gom jobbar test, and its implications; is Paul a kind of gom jobbar? And then there are some of the larger themes of the book itself. Anyway, I don't know if it's been done before, but there's a monthly community analysis of Butcher's Dresden Files series on the Dresden subreddit, and I thought it would be fun to try that here. Importantly, even if there has been a community analysis of themes in the book before (which, obviously, is kind of what we do on this board ;) ) this thread will allow for a more recent analysis and may be fun for everyone.

I'd say it's a pretty good idea :) I haven't been re-reading the books for quite a while (being generally very busy and all), but recently I've been spontaneously remembering and thinking over some things from the books that just come into my mind from time to time.

For example, one thing that keeps me wondering is a small passage in Heretics where Miles, being driven in a luxury vintage car, thinks about how people sometimes found such antique cars in strange places, abandoned long ago, then repaired and restored them as luxury items. He then recalls a story of a local Gammu native who found one such car in a field where it was entirely concealed by thick vegetation.

This passage doesn't seem to have any direct connection to the immediate story, yet it is full of mystery and "negative capability", so to speak, making you think why FH put it there in the first place.