Can't find Map in Map folder

madrailman

I joined here since apparently this is one of the few places that RTII questions can be answered with a degree of frequency.

Ok, Here is my problem:

I have a virtual country set up on Nation States by the name of Railroadishia ( http://www.nationstates.net/nation=railroadishia its here if anyone is interested.) the history of the nation is very much involved with railroads and I got the Idea "why not make a railroad tycoon game out of this?". I do so getting the geography, cities, events and what not set up on the map, and test it out finding other than a few things it works really well. My Problem started when I started to look for the map in my computer's program files, I can't find it anywhere in there, nor the save files for the games I wish to delete.

I would like to know where I can find my map, Ive looked everywhere, even on the disk itself but can't find it, yet it has to be some where because I can load the map to edit it and play it on my computer. I would be more than happy to upload the map here in exchange for help on this problem, I will be uploading the map to the Regional forum of Absolution (a region of nation states)

Computer Stats:

HP Compaq

HardDrive 69.4GB/220GB free

Proccessor: Intel Pentium Dual CPU T3400 @ 2.16GHz

Thankfully,

Madrailman.

The key is that you are running windows 7 which virtualises locations so instead of the files being under the actual program files folder they will actually be in a sub folder on the drive where windows is installed. The actual location depends on where windows is installed and the path to the program files folder. 

If windows and your program files are on the C: drive and you installed to the default path and are using platinum RTII then the path to saved files will be will be something like

"C:\Users\<your logon name>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Railroad Tycoon II - Platinum\games"

and your self created map is probably in

"C:\Users\<your logon name>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Railroad Tycoon II - Platinum\maps"

RTII Maps have a .map or a .mp2 file extension to their name and windows may think your map is a music file.

The maps that come with the game are under the normal Program Files folder

Because I installed windows on a drive E: and didn't use the default folder under program files my own location is slightly different. The "trick" is to locate the AppData folder under the folder that has your name on it in the users folder.  After that its fairly obvious!. I always create a desktop shortcut to the folder which makes it easier to find.   

To browse down from the root of the drive make sure that you set the options so you can see hidden files and folders as AppData is a hidden folder. (after you open my computer then In tools/folder options/view,  under files and folders you need to select the radio button show hidden files, folders and drives - this isn't the default setting)

If all else fails search ALL of your hard disks everywhere (not just default search locations) for *.mp2 and *.map files.

Windows 7 (and Vista) does this because it is a multiple user system and this makes sure each user gets their own saved games etc. its a "Design Feature". The Game Applications are supposed to manage their own saved games and allow their deletion, export and import, but unfortunately RTII (and 3) doesn't allow saved game deletion in the program. Old programs don't follow Microsoft's application design guidelines but most new ones do. Its good IT practice to keep data and programs separate and Windows now tries to enforce this which causes much confusion.     

Hope this makes sense - its easier to do than try and describe!       

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...