Crosslinked Events

jeffryfisher

I'm encountering some bizarre event behavior in my current test game. When one of my events fired, not only did its own effect happen, but the effects from the next event down (in the editor's event list) also happened.

In addition, the next event down now fires every month. I've looked over the triggers very carefully, and I can't explain what's happening. At no time have the conditions for the errant event been met (I know, because I'm using a version of my scenario in which I have a bunch of variables being reported as statuses). The event that was supposed to fire was checked as a one-time event.

I now think I have some kind of corruption. I hope it's in the saved game and not the map  :'(

I'll test the current map for a repeat of this behavior and then I might need a work-around (like relocating one or more events)

My test went badly. The crosslinking fired again, except that I discovered that the linked event is two places below the event with the trigger, not one place (the two trailing events are similar). The event in between does not fire.

This is very strange. I just edited the text and effect of the crosslinked trailing event, so I know that it's really the event being triggered, and not some ghost of an earlier event in the slot where the trigger is. I can also see from statuses that the variables to trigger the trailing event were not inadvertently set; it's firing from the other trigger. Even more confusing is that the trigger event fires just once, but the crosslinked event proceeds to fire every month after that.

Now I set about stamping out these errant events. I'll start by completely erasing all of their contents and then program each one like my several placeholders. I'll then open my hex editor to compare a "sane" placeholder to the suspect events. If I spot any differences, and if the records are the same length, then I can effect a hex repair.

Stay tuned...

PS: I hope there isn't any other corruption in my map  :'(

I had one event that corrupted itself in the map I'm working on.  Luckily I had put a lot of empty events spaces in the string. 

I had a couple of these blank spaces just below the corrupted event slot.  So, it was easy to move away from that slot. 

I save often, But but I found going back to a saved map didn't fix the problem.  That made no sense to me.

So the problem must have been in that slot from the start, just waiting for me to use it.