First debate...

maddog

I watched the whole thing! I didn't think it would be so interesting. They both did very well. The only error that I caught (without doing any research) was that McCain gave credit for "trust but verify" to Reagan. It's an old Russian proverb that Gorbachev used (this is a minor error that most people won't notice or care about). It appears that both candidates are closer together on foreign policy than I would have ever guessed.

As for our local debate, I noticed that Obama can speak without using a teleprompter. In fact, he does it very well.  :)

--Ray.

Yes, both men came across well.  I did like the format, actually allowing each candidate to question and respond to the other candidate, rather than the more traditional mode of just answering questions from the moderator.  This format generated a couple of good exchanges between the two candidates.

If you are undecided, it was worth watching.  If you missed it, Fox and CNN (and perhaps others) will probably replay it late in the evening this weekend - check your local listings.

It was an interesting debate.  Both did well.  I felt neither was outstanding.

Maddog you are correct.  Obama is learning to lean less on the TelePrompTer.

I was hoping to hear more about their behind the scenes meeting in DC. 

They were both very quiet about what happened at this meeting. 

The other democratic attendees were sure throwing daggers at McCain after the meetings.

There's one thing that's true about this debate. McCain didn't come out as the clear winner in foreign policy and Obama showed a good knowledge of foreign policy which lead to a draw in the debate but maybe a loss for McCain overall. We'll see once all of the debates are over. This one should have shown off McCain's strength but the "underdog" Obama was able to check his every move with a knowledgeable answer or correction of his "misstatements".

Maddog, don't take me too serious.  I'm often I'm just having fun.

I agree. I believe that it was a draw. 

McCain is not out spoken but he is knowledgeable.  I expected him to do much better, even felt it was necessary.

Obama is a good reader but less knowledgeable.  I was surprised he spoke as well as he did.  He deserves credit for that.