Alaskan Narrow Gauge Map

Gwizz

Alaskan Re-make Map.

See information above in RT2 General thread.

Zipped with JZip.

Added version 1.20

Made a number of changes:

2 years longer until 1861.

CBV from 4 to 20 million.

From 12 to 20 steel loads.

One steel mill.

From 4 to 1 AI RR.

Fixed events that remove any loco past 20 from the game. 

Made any loco past #20 good until the end of the year before they are removed.

The AI locos also count, so to get 20 locos you either have to buy 20 first or merge the AI.

Gave the 2-8-0 its' own event near the end of the game.

Plus other tweaks.

Alaskan_Narrow_gauge_Railway.zip

Alaskan_Narrow_gauge_Rw_1.20.zip

I've been playing this map for a couple of days when not researching politics.

I'm only to year 3.  I forgot about some of the surprises the map has for the player.

The only problem so far is the limit on locomotives. 

These events don't seem to be working.  It is no biggie.

I'll have to look.  They may be timed events that I forgot about.

I used this type of event on a German map and it worked fine.

The map plays well, although the Company Net Worth goal is way too low.

It is still a fun map.

For those who downloaded the 1.20 version.  You have a steel plant near Spokane. It excepts coal and iron and makes steel.  But the RR forgot to order flats that haul steel.    Best if you use a small station that only serves the steel mill.  Send a train to pick up logs at the steel mill. To load steel you have to give control to the committee. (they work for the steel mill) they will load the steel instead of logs.  Take control back and deliver the steel.   

Yea, it would be good if you didn't have cargo waiting at the stations.  Otherwise, the committee may buy more locomotives to haul these goods.

For those who downloaded the 1.20 version.  You have a steel plant near Spokane. It excepts coal and iron and makes steel.  But the RR forgot to order flats that haul steel.    Best if you use a small station that only serves the steel mill.  Send a train to pick up logs at the steel mill. To load steel you have to give control to the committee.

Wow.  Am I right in thinking that an AI train can pick up steel prior to it becoming an available cargo in 1856?  If so, that is one *neat* trick!

I'm sorry, I haven't had a chance to play this game yet.  I've had a quick look in the editor, and it looks pretty good.

On my last game I set up for the committee to run the log train into the station.  There were no logs there so the committee picked up steel instead.  I took over the company and the steel train.  I got the steel train out of the station when steel train #23 was hijacked by the no more than 20 trains rule.

On my last game I set up for the committee to run the log train into the station.  There were no logs there so the committee picked up steel instead.  I took over the company and the steel train.  I got the steel train out of the station when steel train #23 was hijacked by the no more than 20 trains rule.

OK, I played a game of this today.  I used this method to get steel cars before 1856, and it worked a treat.  I made  a huge number of blunders in this game, and made no effort to use any of my advanced strategies - primarily because the only AI railroad built the useless Whitehorse to Juno and bankrupted himself.

The only problem was I bought camel backs as my subsiduaries' locos, and they took 7 years to reach Fairbanks from Spokane!  But *that* certainly had the feel of narrow gauge to it!

Gwizz,

I haven't had the chance to play or look at the map yet.  :( RL and sleep getting in the way again!  :) How did you set up the NG? I was thinking of doing the same for Pennsylvania 1880 by offering 36" NG at the start. The NG would cost 50% less to build but each train would also deliver 25% less because 36" gauge is about 25% smaller than standard gauge (or close enough for a fun game).  :)

--Ray.

Hi Ray

I started by limiting my locos to the smaller ones.

Generally I decreased the size of cities for less passengers.

I set an event to reduce fuel use and increase speed for some locos early in the game and for a later period I reduce speed.  I made maintenance costs less and the cost of track less.

Whatever the NG had as an advantage I tended to increase while other things being a dis-advantage was decreased.

These things would of course depend upon the period you are modeling.

Jerry

• 1 year later...