Problems to use maps

Hi,

I have RT2 The Second Century. I download some maps from the site but they don't work.

Some of them work, but just a little, not all of them.

I don't know if make a difference, but I'm using a Linux Version of RT2 by Loki Games.

I put all maps at /usr/share/local/games/RT2/maps

Anyone know what's wrong?

All RT2 and RT2 TSC maps available here work with all versions of Windows up through XP Pro SP3 (or is SP2 the last release?).  Don't know about Vista.

I suspect Linux incompatibility issues.  You might try opening the maps up in the editor and see if you get any error messages in the event editor.  Screen resolution might also cause a problem.  While all maps always resize themselves to the Windows video setting, the maps actually come in a variety of sizes and shapes.  Some of them might be trying to use an aspect ratio not supported by your Linux video settings.

Good luck.

Hi thomasjordan,

Thanks for the reply.

Not all maps. Bulvanian Petroleoum.MP2 for example, works very well :)

I can't open with map editor because the maps don't appear in the list to select.

So, because of this I don't think it's a Linux incompatibility. The maps don't appear in the list to play. And I put them in the same place of the Bulvanian Petroleoum.MP2.

Here is a example of maps do not work:

Deutschland.MAP

Military-12-tsc.MP2

My game is Railroad Tycoon II Gold Editon 1.54c.

In the game i can see the military depot, weapons factory, airport, etc. That means is the last version right?

The Second Century?

I can't open with map editor because the maps don't appear in the list to select.

I take it this is also the case when trying to play the maps?

RRT's map list actually opens the files and reads the description into memory before displaying it.  As this is Linux, and something isn't working, 9/10 it's a permission problem :-).

Start a shell/terminal session:

cd /usr/share/local/games/RT2/maps

sudo chmod 777 *

Then try again.  Please let us know if that works or not.  And if it doesn't work, please describe the symptoms so we can try and take a better guess.

So, because of this I don't think it's a Linux incompatibility. The maps don't appear in the list to play. And I put them in the same place of the Bulvanian Petroleoum.MP2.

Here is a example of maps do not work:

Deutschland.MAP

Military-12-tsc.MP2

My game is Railroad Tycoon II Gold Editon 1.54c.

In the game i can see the military depot, weapons factory, airport, etc. That means is the last version right?

The Second Century?

I take it this is also the case when trying to play the maps?

Hi djf01,

Yes, this also happen when I try to play.

I change the permissions and still not working.

The maps stays in two folders:

~/.loki/maps

/usr/local/games/RT2/maps

I change the permission of both.

The permission is not a problem from the beginning, cause I always run the game as a root.

I try to run like a normal user and like a root, but makes no difference. The maps doesn't appear in the list.

Any ideas?

Hi,

How *many* maps aren't working?

If you haven't already, you should try seeing if you can see the maps in the editor.

Maps with incomplete heading information don't appear in the lost of maps to play, but do in the editor list.  But any old file with a .MP2 or .MAP extension don't.

The otehr thing I'd suggest is try downloading a map from these forums, one we all know works on Windows.  Something like http://theterminal.dune2k.com/forum/index.php?topic=632.0

DJF

Hi,

Well, still not working. In the both lists (Play and Editor).

I download the "James Hill in Mexico (hard)" and nothing.

The list of maps I'm trying to play:

brandenburg.MP2

Bulvanian Petroleoum.mp2

Deutschland.MAP

Europe (Deutsche Version).MP2

industrial fixer upper 1.3.MP2

Military-12-tsc.MP2

Royal Empress.MP2

sБd west steiermark V. 1.02.MP2

Vorwohle-Emmerthaler Eisenbahn.MP2

Just ONE works: Bulvanian Petroleoum.mp2

A thought, did you un-zip the maps.

Zipped maps won't show up on the map list in the editor.  Some maps that you can download are not zipped and may be the ones that do work.  If zipped they should have the extention of     .zip  I think you said they have the extension of, .map or .mp2  which tells me you did unzip the maps.

If you did unzip them, then your zip program could have a problem unpacking a map.  I don't use linux, so I can't help you much there.

Hello everybody!

I find the solution! And it is incredible!

I have some experience in Linux, but I never think something like this will happen. Certainly I will refer this in Linux forums.

The maps I downloaded have the extension MP2 or MAP in caps lock! I just have to rename the files, and change to mp2 and map.

All of them works!

The maps I downloaded have the extension MP2 or MAP in caps lock! I just have to rename the files, and change to mp2 and map.

Yes, Linux is case-sensitive but Windows isn't. The Loki RT2 requires the map names to be lower-case.

--Ray.