Hi ... and a quick question or two

KGerbr

Hello,

glad to see there's an "active" community for RRT3. i've played it for years and still love it. i just stopped in to see if there are any maps to download and have a couple questions while i'm here. (nice site by the way.)

- what are heightmaps? meaning, can i download them from somewhere and import them into RRT3 to use in mapping? (i'm much more into the logic of the mapping than the terrain.)

- how are the maps on this site rated? i came here to see if there are any maps i could download and found you have lots (hurray!!). i see the PopTop ones are rated around 65% to 70% and there's a couple that are rated more than that. i guess i should start with those one?  ;D

- have you tried Sids new railways game yet? is it worth it? i doubt it, it looks too small and scruntched up compared to RRT3.

thanks!

KGerbr

Height maps are shaded so that each shade represents an elevation. When it is imported into the map editor, it makes an olive green map with variations in elevation. You can make them for any part of the world with RT3 Mapmaker which comes with RT3, or you can use height maps obtained from other sources. As they are image files, you can use any image software to edit the height map if you like. Sometimes there are better sources than RT3 Mapmaker, but it is good enough for me.

The map ratings I see here seem inconsistent with quality. I say download them all try them out and if you like them keep them, otherwise chuck them. Sometimes I have a third category, that is ones that need fixing, so I tinker with them in the editor until the map works the way I like.

Sid Meier's Railroads has a different focus, so to me it is a matter of preference. This game is good for watching choo-choos, micromanaging track layouts and signals. I like some of the additions like the patent and industry auctions. After testing the demo I would say that this game has a place, but not on my computer. I prefer the strategic level, economic and historical aspects, so for me RT3 is the best, and the 3D is easy like and difficult to ignore. I have seen complaints about the economic system and other aspects of RT3, but I would rather see improvements to RT3 than anything like SMR.

I agree with almost everything JayEff said.

Some maps are made for specific play styles.  One player will love a map and the next will hate it.  It was good advice to try them all and save the ones you like.  I change most maps I download to create a 2nd map with a different play style.  For this reason a bad map for me can become a good map with a few changes that fit my play style.

As far as Sid's Railroads goes I did not buy it nor did I download the demo.

I started to download it and thought why am I going this and dumped the download I started.  I believe Sid is a programer who works for a company that cares most for making a quick profit and less for quality. 

I believe RT3 suffered the same problem.  It had the start of an outstanding game and was cut short by profit deadlines.  Profit is ofcourse necessary for a company to be successful; but a cut, made too soon stunts success and profits.  It is a case of a manager having the savy to know when to hold and when to fold.

Welcome to the forum. 

You should also try:  http://www.railroadtycoon.info/forum/login.php 

and hawks site when he gets the new one up and running.

There is a tutorial on how to make heightmaps here:

http://www.msu.edu/user/bowlby/rrt3/tutorials/Microdem/Tutorial1.htm

I downloaded and played SMRR Demo.  Looks cool but plays like a baby's toy.  No sophistication at all.  I beat the competition hands down on the hardest levels after one try.  I too will be going back to RT3 for my railroad "fix".