New RT2 TSC Map "Going to Alaska"

Gwizz

I took the Campaign map Alaska 1932, and made a Scenario out of it.

There are now 4 cargos to deliver between Seattle and Fairbanks Alaska.

and a number of other event changes and balancing of industries, etc.

Added a couple of cities and changed some industries and removed restrictions.

I missed Gold when I was too slow discovering that the Tool and Die was taking my steel when I needed it to make autos.  I've only played this map 3 times and it seemed to be clean of problems. So If anyone discovers a problem let me know.

PS:  the Version 2 map is now listed 4 posts down.

Going_To_Alaska.zip

I played around with the flags.  I normally use the red flag for ease of reloading undemanded cargo on the train.  But the Yellow flag leaves cargo on the train and delays my expenses until the cargo reaches its final demand stop.  The rate of cargo price rot also seems to be slower if cargo is left on the train.  Not sure of this. 

On This map I've had cities start without any houses.  Seattle and Fairbanks have both done this in different games.  I know this is a game bug, but I was wondering what causes this to happen?

When PopTop made the original Alaska map, at some point they must have had another RR company, since the one now part of the map is company #2.  I wonder if deleting a company in the editor and then replacing it with new stations, etc. in some way, affects something that allows a miss-fire in the game engine causing this bug.  It may be like an MS program, I can delete the program but parts of it remain on the hard drive, often causing little problems later.

I now check every start to make sure someone is living in every city. 

If not I do a restart.  Gold is not easy to reach on this map even when everything works correctly.

I worked on the no houses problem that a few cities were experiencing.

I changed the name of Seattle and Fairbanks by adding the word City  It seems to have helped.

I added more cities on the coast and reduced the number of industries.

I made a number of other changes and did more balancing.  The win goals are the same.

Since it was too easy to cheat on the hauls, I worked on this problem.  Plus the map is easier to win on Gold now.

So here is the revised map:  "Going to Alaska version 2"

Going_To_Alaska_V.2.zip

I suspect the no-houses problem probably has to do with the prebuilt industries assigned to those cities. The program only allows so much in the cities. With your new cities built after the industry was placed, the industries are likely not associated with the new cities, which would then start out with the expected house and industry placement.

Anyone who wants to achieve gold on this needs to change the city connection events to refer to the new city number for Seattle, as well as use GV1=4 instead of 5 in the gold trigger.

Otherwise it seems to play OK. Auto delivery is undoubtedly the critical path. You're right about the cheating possibility. Personally I am not a fan of requirements that cannot be evented, but steel and auto delivery seem to be OK due to the limited source for each. The other delivery requirements are easy enough to meet in the meantime so that cheating is irrelevant. The only cheating I did was to make sure I had a port in Vancouver, unless you call storing troops in Seattle cheating (haha).

Thanks Loco_motive for catching the errors

Event #2,  Trigger, The Gamevariable1=5 should be Gamevariable1=4

Event #13  Trigger, Should be, for Connecting territory to city(83)

The new ID after changing Seattle to Seattle City.

The house problem is strange. At times Seattle did build houses and at other times it did not build houses.  I think you are correct.  The prebuilt industries had some kind of association with the Seattle ID and by changing the name to Seattle City giving it a new ID the association did not carry over to the new ID.

Going_To_Alaska_V.3.zip

• 5 weeks later...

The no-house city also happens in the classic campaign called "Next Stop The 20th Century".

The city in question is Warsaw. usually a reload helps.

Maybe its due to having too many industries planned for the city?

or maybe its because the city was made too small?

I should report I did manage to win this scenario in pretty much the time necessary to deliver the autos, that is with trains picking up iron and coal at the very start and all related trains on express. It was a few months later than that but if I were to go back and put some others on full throttle and/or get some additional GG1's I could cut the time back a couple of months. The only reason I didn't make it by the auto completion is I didn't expect the other requirements to be unfinished at that time, mostly due to congestion as it was.

It was a pretty early finish.

• 1 year later...

I discovered this scenario (v.3) the other day while rambling through the forum and gave it a spin.  Two problems showed up: 

(a) CONNECTED FAIRBANKS - this trigger isn't working because the embedded station in Seattle is not showing "connected".  I realised this very late in the game and had to add a second station! 

(b) STATUS [for the above] - is also not working, this one because the city ID for Seattle is 83 but 62 is written in the trigger.  (City 62 no longer exists, as far as I can see). 

Having since read the forum notes I see that some of the above has been mentioned - has a corrected v.4 been issued that I have somehow missed?  The subject has been dormant for a year or so....

Regarding a previously mentioned point, the "no houses" glitch is caused by embedding too many industries inside a city.  I think it confuses the random generator. 

I think you are correct about the no houses problem.

I failed to notice that the status for Seattle also needed changing to ID 83 from 62.

There is no version 4 as of today.  It would be simple to make the necessary change.

Being connected to a city has long been a problem of where a station is placed.  I try to put a station a bit closer to city center even if it says the station in connected further away.