New map: Christaller

MiG

Hey everybody,

Since it is summer and I don't have to go to work and college and stuff I made you a very fresh new map. It isn't a map of a certain area, but it is a map designed after Christallers theory. Suggestions are very welome and pleas let me know if things do not work ad they are supposed to, or if you think the game is too hard or easy.

Mig

Christaller.zip

Interesting that that is the theorist's name, because the approach reminds you of the predictability of the growth of crystals.

I lived in a neighbourhood like that once - Mill Woods in Edmonton. The things you would travel to most often are the shortest distance from home - like schools, churches, restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores and convenience stores. Each neighbourhood had a sort of ring road that takes you to these places. For several neighbourhoods there is a shared "Town Centre" with a hospital, and many stores of different types.

I don't see much of this in western Canada. Our reliance on unevenly distributed natural resources and low population densities are key factors in this.

It appears to a degree on the prairies, where farm settlement occurred in a narrow space of time, land grants to farmers were fairly uniform. There were systematic land grants along the CPR route. With little topographic relief, you had large zones of uniform climate and soil fertility.

I took a quick look at your map. 3 comments:

1. You might want to reword some of your win events. :O

2. You have far more houses than cargoes to feed them. Industry will be incredibly lucrative. I expect a good player will start with industry.

3. Without competition from rivers, the railways should do well on this map.

From 2 and 3 above, and no topography, it looks like an easy win.

I think you're right on both problems, the thing is that if you put a lot of extra industries on the map you'd have to put them on the land that is not a part of the cities. That would mean extra

• 3 weeks later...

Okay everybody, This new map is finally finished. Tested, changed, retested, changed, retested and everything.

I hope it'll be enjoyed and the admistration will put it in the map register soon. ;D

MiG