No break downs

Is there any way to keep the trains from breaking down , My trains always either breakdown  after they start running.

A better way is to place a Roundhouse along all routes of your engines and to update the engines about every 20 years for steam and every 20-25 years for diesels.

--Ray.

• 2 years later...

The answer you're looking for, yes, there's a switch to turn them off. You have to edit the shortcut you use to start the game and add the /nowreck switch. I personally wish it only affected crashes, because it seems to me that I get ridiculous numbers of them (especially late in the game when I have 50+ trains running), but that switch also turns off breakdowns, and renders engine reliability stats pretty much moot. I'm not sure if it eliminates or reduces maintenance costs, but I think it does have an effect on them, so this is pretty much a cheat.

If you don't want to cheat, there are some things you can do, as other posters have mentioned.

• Buy more reliable engines
  • Replace old engines that have high breakdown chances
  • Reduce the burden of engines; heavily burdened engines wear out spectacularly quickly
  • Reduce the top speed of the engine on its control panel (this doesn't have a lot of effect, but turning the speed up above default will really slam your engine lifetime)
  • Carry cabooses; they significantly reduce maint and breakdowns, they also improve security, but they do add weight and length to trains
  • Place Roundhouses, Water Towers, and Sand Towers where they can be used; lack of these things can drive up your engine costs, or slow your engine dramatically

But it's your game; don't let anyone tell you the "only" way to play. If you want to cheat, go right ahead, no one here can stop you.