Peter Berg: From "Dune" to ...Battleship???

TMA_1

In my personal opinion, I think the idea of another attempt at Dune being made into a conventional hollywood film is pretty much dead. Personally I think (and have read the opinions of others of whom I totally agree with) it could be made into a great animated film, or something along those lines. Like I said before though, it has been attempted in theaters and on the television screen, and I believe its enough. It cannot be done properly, As it would be fiscal suicide for any large production company to actually do it RIGHT. I knew that peter berg's ideas at making a new Dune film would evaporate into the ethers, and I am especially glad it did! I just finished reading an article that I found on the main page of Dune2k (thanks newt!) and I found out that peter has a desire to convert the classic boardgame "battleship" into a film... No, I am not joking, peter berg really wants to turn a simple guessing game into an epic battle flick... yeesh.

I can see it now.

CHESS! The Classic Game Of Wits Becomes The Ultimate Battlefield! Coming To Theatres Near you!

Rated: PG-13

Regards: Titus

I posted another link, I think it was on 'Chigger's blog, about the enemy in Battleship...its aliens, who travel in space ships, which glide down through the Earth's atmosphere and become boats, then for some reason, the international flotilla (international, because they have one err...Japanese ship) lose a lot of their modern technology, and have to hunt the aliens down using primitive methods.  Also, the battleship (I think they're basing it on the USS Missouri, quite an awesome ship actually, was built in the 40s, and fired the opening shots of the Iraq War in 2003), wont be the main ship, a destroyer will be the main ship, and the C/O of the destroyer will be the main character.

Again, he didn't leave Dune to make Battleship!.  He left Dune when he cut a deal with the studio. In return for making the big-budget summer movie Battleship! he would finally be able to make a movie called "Lone Survivor", a small drama about the Afghan war that he worte himself and has been trying to get off the ground for some time.

I still cannot get over it, who in the hell had the idea to make a movie on the board game, Battleship? The studio that is funding that crap should sink to the nether reaches of this earth.

Thanks for the info, Mahdi. Though honestly I was not implying that he simply ditched Dune for Battleship, I was just saying I am glad he is not going anywhere near Dune as a filmmaker. I have never been a great fan of Peter Berg.

Oh, and Newt. The USS Missouri was turned into a museum ship in 1993 and is currently docked in hawaii. I think you were referring to it being used during the early stages of Desert Storm back during the Bush senior years. Only reason I remember that is because of Under Siege... hehe

Oh, and Newt. The USS Missouri was turned into a museum ship in 1993 and is currently docked in hawaii. I think you were referring to it being used during the early stages of Desert Storm back during the Bush senior years. Only reason I remember that is because of Under Siege... hehe

Ah yeah, I got the wrong Iraq War!

hehe, indeed! The shaky cam has been very much played out, and could name a few other directors who are guilty of it's overuse! as a technique in cinematography, it has it's place, especially when you want to give the film a sort of raw hyper-realism. Sadly, it has been abused. It reminds me of the hammy and incorrect use of melisma on American Idol.

Like I said before, I think Dune could be adapted very nicely into an animated film. I dont think this would happen any time soon, though.