Local Account and Domain

I've recently gotten a laptop for campus use (Vista Business), and it's been configured to connect to the campus Domain. However, I'm also told that I can set the laptop to connect to a Local Account beyond the Domain by keying my username as <computername>Username. Switching back to connect to the Domain would require the username to be in the <DOMAIN>UserID format.

Problem is, each time I switch the computer on, I see the "Ctrl+Alt+Del to log in" screen, but upon hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del, I don't get a response. The available log in options (ie <computername>Username, Switch User) only appear about a minute after arriving at the screen.

Upon checking the Event Log, it appears that the computer was attempting to connect to the domain controller during this period. I think that this is causing the delay. It seems to make 2 failed attempts before giving up. It's obvious that the computer would fail to connect to the Domain because I'm not anywhere on campus (right?).

Thus my question(s) are: How can I set it up properly such that it attempts to connect to the Domain only after I decide to log in as <DOMAIN>UserID and not before I've made any decision? If this is not possible, how can I reduce the number of attempts it makes to connect to the domain controller before giving up, perhaps potentially reducing the delay?

Also, using the Local Account (<computername>Username, no Domain), it appears I still am connecting to the Domain, according to Control Panel --> System. Is this normal even though I'm currently on a Local Account?

Thanks.

In short, you can not stop it from querying the domain or any domain controller it can think of. Depending on the setup you can use a local account when you don't have a connection to your schools network. Then again they could also enable you to use your domain account even when no domain controller is present.

Anyway, as it's a domain computer I am not going to help you circumvent any login restrictions the network admins might have deliberately set for it.