DEV: D2TM Logging (tool)

stefanhendriks

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest, I haven't been working on it a lot lately.

Another project I'm working on is a 3D engine in Java, and I've made some significant progress on it the last few weeks so that was the only thing I felt like working on. If you would like, I could use it to illustrate the idea I mentioned in another thread, about the 2D/3D mix.

However, I will still build this tool, I'm not someone who starts building something and doesn't finish it.

One thing that took me a lot of time was a mistake I made in the design: I thought it would be necessary to hard-code a lot of stuff, but while working on it I realized it would be a lot easier to add features and debug if all components, events, etc. would be specified in an ini file. So that made sure I could throw away a lot of the code I've been writing. But hey, that happens often in a programmer's life, doesn't it? :P

About the not-finishing thing: that isn't true for the map-generator for the editor. I don't think I will implement it but make a final build with the option removed from the menu instead. ATM, the maps for D2TM are small, don't feature a lot of different terrain types and it doesn't take more than a few minutes work to build a map, so I don't think it is worth the effort to make a seed-generator. However, let me know if you think otherwise, and I will take a look at it again  ;)

To be honest, I haven't been working on it a lot lately.

No problem.

Another project I'm working on is a 3D engine in Java, and I've made some significant progress on it the last few weeks so that was the only thing I felt like working on. If you would like, I could use it to illustrate the idea I mentioned in another thread, about the 2D/3D mix.

What!? You preferred a way cooler project over a log scanning tool? How dare you! :P

However, I will still build this tool, I'm not someone who starts building something and doesn't finish it.

One thing that took me a lot of time was a mistake I made in the design: I thought it would be necessary to hard-code a lot of stuff, but while working on it I realized it would be a lot easier to add features and debug if all components, events, etc. would be specified in an ini file. So that made sure I could throw away a lot of the code I've been writing. But hey, that happens often in a programmer's life, doesn't it? Tongue

I'd say only finish it when you feel like it. I would be happy to see such a tool. I know your pain, it is too bad that a programmer always has to experience such things in order to get better.

About the not-finishing thing: that isn't true for the map-generator for the editor. I don't think I will implement it but make a final build with the option removed from the menu instead. ATM, the maps for D2TM are small, don't feature a lot of different terrain types and it doesn't take more than a few minutes work to build a map, so I don't think it is worth the effort to make a seed-generator. However, let me know if you think otherwise, and I will take a look at it again  Wink

I agree, the generator is less important. :)