Heretic dune 2 version?

vota dc

I have Dune 2 since 1994 and I checked:every unit (except special units) is the same for every faction.

But some months before buying Dune 2 I played with the forgotten Dune 2 of my cousin and I noticed that had many strange features:

1)The enemy never rebuild the base.

2)The enemy has superfast repair.

3)The enemy has superfast units building:destroy the defending unit is useless,you have to destroy the factory as fast you can.

4)The saboteur is invisible.....for the player only!

5)The fremen never attack the enemy base,but the turrets never attack them.

6)Harkonnen combat tank is nearly useless,only a little stronger than the quad.Ordos combat tank seems the most powerful.

7)The opposite of 6:Ordos quad is weak while harkonnen quad is really strong.

8)Ordos harvester is faster.

1)The enemy never rebuild the base.

2)The enemy has superfast repair.

3)The enemy has superfast units building:destroy the defending unit is useless,you have to destroy the factory as fast you can.

4)The saboteur is invisible.....for the player only!

5)The fremen never attack the enemy base,but the turrets never attack them.

6)Harkonnen combat tank is nearly useless,only a little stronger than the quad.Ordos combat tank seems the most powerful.

7)The opposite of 6:Ordos quad is weak while harkonnen quad is really strong.

8)Ordos harvester is faster.

1), 4), 5) This is normal for the unpatched US release (The Building of a Dynasty - v1.0)

2), 3) Looks like Super Dune 2 (based on v1.0), which had the EXE with the instant build/repair hack.

6), 7), 8) Never heard of any such things ??? You're sure about that? Or, the EXE was hacked with an old unit/building editor by Jens Defendorf.

Well one Dune 2 is "Battle for Arrakis" (the regular one that I still have).But the older I don't know:I don't see box and game since 10 years.

I know only that

1)It is of 1994 or older

2)It is floppy disk version

3)My cousin said that there were differences even between siege tanks and harvesters,but I never noticed while for combat tanks and quad is surely true.

1)It is of 1994 or older

2)It is floppy disk version

This looks very much like Super Dune 2, which was released in 1994, initially on several floppies.

However, I'm pretty sure all units are the same as in the original Dune II. Another thing is, there were several "trainer" programs that worked both for Dune 2 and Super Dune 2, which probably could affect the game in the way you observed.

Can you remember more tings about it? You're saying the Harkonnen Combat Tank was less powerful than the Quad - you mean you observed a tank being beaten by a quad, right? Who owned the tank - the player or the AI?

After I saw a Harkonnen combat tank beaten by the enemy Ordos combat tank in mission 4 (with more than half hit points remaining) I tested my quad vs my combat tank and the quad barely won (I don't know if the quad attacked first-but however is not normal).

I don't know if it is Super Dune 2:I'm sure the three side were the classic and in Europe I never seen the cd version,only Dune II Battle for Arrakis in four floppy.

You know, I believe making side-specific differences for units in Dune I might not be impossible. If I could get my hands on such a modified version, that could turn out to be very useful for my project. Any chance you can still find/obtain that version of your cousin's?

• 1 year later...