"God's truck driver"

Falconius

My apologies for posting this here.

But this article saddened me sufficiently for me to feel the need to post it somewhere, even if the reception is uncaring.

Original article from Rapport 11 May 2008

"God's truck driver" help old aged people in Zim

For 650 poor, hungry senior citizens in 15 retirement villages in Zimbabwe, one South-African's kind-hearted nature makes the difference between life and death.

This group of outcasted elderly people's only source of hope is the green-and-white truck of Mr. Hannes Botha (55) who each month brings them food-aid survival packs.

The food-aid survival packs consist only of the most essential needs to keep them alive.

Botha from Malelane in Limpopo (South-Africa), took care of this elderly people since 2002 on his own.

His 4 ton truck is very old, but regardless still tow a trailer each month, to supply 6 ton of food-aid survival packs to the 15 old-aged homes in Zimbabwe.

In Zimbabwe they call him "God's truckdriver".

Botha lived in Zimbabwe but left the country in 1980, he say he only do what he thinks is right.

"I don't think people know how utterly the poverty situation is with these elderly people. Some are dying of hunger, malnourishment and harsh conditions.

"The oldest, is an old lady of 102 years, the others range from 70 upward.

"Their fate is tragic, years of hard-earned pension and paid out policies can't even buy them bread today. Most of their family are dead or gone.

"They are too poor or old to move. And believe me, the government of Robert Mugabe don't care anything for these people.

"These people are subjected to the mercy and charity of other people. I just decided I MUST help them.

Botha said he initially gathered foodstuffs himself to make the survival packs. He then transported it on own cost to deliver it to the 15 old aged homes.

He said it is heartbreaking to watch the people wait for him when he arrive with his truck.

"They stand there like excited children, after that the tears begin to flow as each receive their package with their name on it.

"Things like toiletpaper, cooking-oil, rice, maize, fresh vegetables, coffee, candles and toothpaste ; means everything to them.

"One old man, which received batteries for his torch, later kept onto it like a baby. It is really very sad".

Botha said he realised that soon the work became too much for One person alone to handle.

He managed to organize some volunteers - individuals, aid organisations and churches to help with this immense task. One such Aid-organisation is Solidarity Helping Hand Fund.

Eventually he started the Zimbabwe Pensioners Support Fund, which is an Article 21 company - a non profitable organisation.

He said until now the Zimbabwe Government doesn't bother him to deliver these goods.

He also said the organisation is in desperate need of new transport because his truck is already too old.