Widescreen Wallpaper?

Is it possible for me to have a wallpaper of 4:3 aspect ratio on a widescreen monitor, but having the width stretched to fit the monitor while leaving black bars (dependent on the desktop colour) exposed at the side of the image to make up for the widescreen proportion? I'd like to know how to do it, for both images with width greater (stretching it means compressing the whole image so fit the width) or smaller than 800 pixels (stretching to fit width) for width.

Edit: Here's how it started. I have a large (non-widescreen) picture to put up as a wallpaper on a 16:10 monitor, resolution set to 1280x800. However, rather than have the width stretched to the monitor edges while maintaing aspect ratio (what I wanted) or just having it display on its own but surrounded by a black border, the image got zoomed in, cutting out the edges of the picture itself.

That doesn't alter the size of the image, so a huge image still gets bits cut out.

I'm now using Microsoft Picture Manager to manually scale the image to the size I want (ie fit the width/height) and then set it as desktop wallpaper. Seems to work for me.