Broken USB with keyboard

So I just accidentally got my foot caught in my keyboard wire and ripped it out of one of the front usb sockets. Part of the usb socket is stuck in the keyboard part of use and I cannot get it out. So that usb portal is no good (the other ones next to it work so far). I am currently using my old HP keyboard which sucks. The acer keyboard was pretty good (minimalistic).

Any ideas on how to remove the USB part from keyboard? I took some crappy pictures. Bottom left is the broken one. notice how it is missing the part that sticks out. It is stuck in the keyboard end of it. I can't get any good pictures of the keyboard end.

So part of the USB from computer is stuck in keyboard usb. The metal "wire" parts are still in the computer part which means there are 4 holes in the keyboard usb.

I tried using some sewing pins to pry it out but that didn't work.

Bottom picture is the keyboard usb that has part of the computer usb part stuck in it.

For a better example, see this image

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Type_A_USB_Connecter_alt.jpg

It is the white part at the bottom that came out of the computer and got stuck in the keyboard usb part. The gold wires are not in it, so I tried prying it out.

post-1194-12833239535942_thumb.jpg

post-1194-12833239538088_thumb.jpg

post-1194-12833239541409_thumb.jpg

I fixed it.

I got a fork and pried it into one of the holes and got it out some, then pushed it out more through the holes in the side of the usb, then I got some old pliers and got it out. Keyboard seems to work.

So now I only have 3 usb on the front of my computer. I don't think there was too much damage to them (moving them out of place). I know for my old computer there are 2 usb on the front but it is very difficult to connect anything there as they are out of place.

• 1 month later...

I have this same problem with my Toshiba laptop..

One of my USB ports is F*^%8 up..

The plastic of the USB port in the computer broke and came out with the USB device...

the port is still usable, but instable.. so when you move the cable a little some false contacts might screw your connection...