FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage

Dragoon Knight

Just thought I'd make a thread about this game, seeing as it's the first racing title I've really enjoyed since Gran Turismo 2 on the PlayStation.  I don't think it's been released in the U.S. yet, seeing as it was developed by us Brits, but it's definitely a game you want to get your hands on.  It's out in the UK for XBOX 360 and PC.

Imagine Burnout; crashes, racing, stunts, etc.  This game has all of that, but on a much more entertaining level.  For a start, the driver of your car is not welded to the seat.  If you hit a tree at 100 mph, you're flying out that window, seatbelt or no seatbelt.  And you do, to much hilarity and mirth, which is a nice change.  They even make Stunts out of this fact - sort of mini-games where you have to vault your driver out of the windshield and accomplish certain goals.  A couple of examples are the High Jump (get the angle just right, then launch as high as you can), Stone Skipping (low angle, make your driver skip the water's surface for as long as possible) and the Ring of Fire (or rings, as it happens, and the directing of your hapless person through them and into a pool at the end).

The main meat of the game, though, is the racing.  Anyone who's played Burnout will be familiar with the format of ramming opponents into walls, buildings, other cars, etc.  You gain Nitro - a.k.a. Boost, NOS, etc. - from crashing into these things, rather than skirting close to them