ATI X1950XTX

i got this girl friend who wonder if there are 3 good reasons not to buy ATI X1950XTX. Does she need a special board to eventually run two of them in crossfire?. Like crossfire boards(like nvidia need SLI). In tests this card really kicks b... ,anyone who has/had experience with ATI cards and drivers?

thanks

cybogirl

it's a good card though I wouldn't buy it for 2 reasons:

1. it's ATI and I don't like their products very much

2. it's not a dx10 card which might become important as soon as vista is launched and the first dx10 games are available.

now your questions:

if she wants to have a crossfire setup she needs a crossfire compatible board

also I think she need a "crossfire"-version of the card itself (afaik ati has different versions, a default version and a crossfire version with the cf version being a bit more expensive)

experience with ati? yea me... and I don't like them. the drivers were crap most of the time and I almost always used alternate (modded) drivers. I'd rather pay ~100

thx veK!

I have noticed this at Toms hardware they say that to get the full attention from a 8800 card you really need a top  tunes machine like duo extreme or duo2 . Ihave a link in the new hardware of 007. ;Dhehe. AShe dont thinking of doing that upgrade yet.

cybo

it's not about the power of the 8800 series - it's about that this gpu is the first for directx 10.

so if I were her this is what I would do:

1. either invest some more money and buy a 8800 series card

2. or buy a cheaper and less powerful card than the 1950xtx (a geforce 7600 e.g.) and wait for some midrange models with the g80 gpu (8600 & co should be coming soon (cebit maybe?)). upgrade again then and sell "old" card and still getting a good price for it