Internet Regulation and Hyperspace Reality

TMA_1

How long do you guys think it will take for the internet to be partially or fully regulated by a governing body? (somewhat akin to it's own country, with laws and regulations punishable by realspace standards) Could there be a future where cyberspace will be represented as a meta-state coming along side realspace states? Could there exist national bodies of hyperspace, with real regulated governers? Currently the internet as a whole is really an example of a sort of pseudo anarchy, at least this is how it seems to me. I think people take the extreme freedom of the internet for granted, and dont see how colossal it is in it's impact and implications. The usefulness of it is constantly growing each day, so I just thought I would as these questions and make some statements that I have been thinking about in a half-sleep trance.lol

In fact I think I might try to write something on the matter. Wish my writing skills could magically improve.lol

Cheers: Titus

I find internet to be an autonomous body, which isn't much dependant on the secular power, same as the secular power doesn't need it either. It is important how you define a 'state', there are some laws in the net-world (word 'cyberspace' seems like if it were driven, what it isn't ;) ) already, like most forums have certain posting rules and so. Every law depends on range of possible actions, and this will be always wider in the physical world. Unless there are borders (ie unless comps need electricity from beyond).

On principle alone, that the internet is just hard drives being accessed and manipulated across lines of fiber optic and ethernet cables, there should be minimal regulation. Cyberspace doesn't exist, it's a metaphor that has been taken too seriously. Crying over something in cyberspace is just crying over something on someone else's hard drive. If we keep that in mind, maybe some sense can be driven into these legislators (avoiding the ones who think the internet is a vast network of tubing).

true enough

I guess I just used cyberspace as an easy word to put on the name of existance for the internet. I believe it is more than the sum of it's parts. It isnt just harddrives, it is a connection of harddrives! sharing information at will (or not depending on who is controlling what). Dont you see, once something is connected, it becomes apart of the bigger whole. I may be wrong here, definitely a bit hammy too.lol If I am please say so. :)

How long do you guys think it will take for the internet to be partially or fully regulated by a governing body? (somewhat akin to it's own country, with laws and regulations punishable by realspace standards)

I have heard about some kind of "internet constitution", but I'm not sure if and when such a thing will be implemented. I think one have to see at who benefits from regulation. Basically, the internet is in a way controlled - you can't get access without a connection, and if so, you need to pay in some way, either your own bill or at the place from which you connect.

Practically, it wouldn't work. The greatest business in the world lies in trade, markets, thus deregulation is where we are headed for now - governmental regulation is only a step backwards (in the views of global capital). The only regulation expected in the near future would be internet piracy - and really, the only way to stop that is to end progress in internet technology completely.

Could there exist national bodies of hyperspace, with real regulated governers?

It would only be a step backwards - of course, depending on which kind of regulation you mean.

Currently the internet as a whole is really an example of a sort of pseudo anarchy, at least this is how it seems to me.

Some time ago I read a book, although out of date, it really described the internet as a chaotic hierarchy - there are people far better than me in the uses of the internet, and thus they are a step above me - if I don't respect them, my computer won't work tomorrow, if they are my friends, then it is you who should be worried ( :D ), and if neither, well, I'm collateral damage. In anarchy, everybody is equal.

I think people take the extreme freedom of the internet for granted, and dont see how colossal it is in it's impact and implications.

Yes, but what impact? Internet as a free, growing information source is what people expect it to be. Is it not what all humans are pursuing - as much freedom as possible? Often, regulation and control only brings about the bad in people - the more illegal things there are, the more criminals. If anything, we should instead make conscious progress with the internet, not restricting and regulating it.

Dont you see, once something is connected, it becomes apart of the bigger whole.

Which is why we need to make conscious progress. Just like in reality - digital photos are yours as long as you want them to be private - so it is the individual who needs to be conscious about his/her things - which also makes up for a conscious progress in personal freedom and privacy.