Possible contradiction

AeonGrey

I'm reading Dune for the 4th time and I'm noticing that Jessica says to Yueh at one point:  "We've known each other six years".

I'm not trying to make a point or anything by pointing out the contradiction, just wanted to confirm it.

The contradiction lies with the prequels.  I thought that in the prequels Yueh came to work for the Atreides before Paul was even born.

TMA?

I havent reread the books in a long time and so I forgot when jessica said that. Could you give me the page number? I am not sure, but you might be right. I specifically remember that Yueh was a suk doctor working in an orbiting laboratory with House Richese. He specialized in cybernetics and helped out Rhombur (forgot the exact spelling, I think that is right) after his injury. Man I have to read the original again especially that specific part, but you could be very right with the inconsistancy. Like Isaid I remember the prequels saying that Yueh was taken in even before Leto's first baby (wasent it called Nathan?).

Good point aeon.

I havent reread the books in a long time and so I forgot when jessica said that. Could you give me the page number? I am not sure, but you might be right. I specifically remember that Yueh was a suk doctor working in an orbiting laboratory with House Richese. He specialized in cybernetics and helped out Rhombur (forgot the exact spelling, I think that is right) after his injury. Man I have to read the original again especially that specific part, but you could be very right with the inconsistancy. Like Isaid I remember the prequels saying that Yueh was taken in even before Leto's first baby (wasent it called Nathan?).

Good point aeon.

In the edition I'm reading right now (Ace Scifi Hard-back '98) it's right at the top of page 58.  It's a few paragraphs into the chapter where Jessica is talking to Yueh outside the room where Paul is resting, just after their arrival to Arrakis.

I only read the god-awful prequels once, and I can't consort them again because I sold them off.  You may be right in that Yueh was merely brought on to help Rhombur (couldn't remember his name) with his injuries.  What I can't remember is whether or not he immediately joined up to the Atreides, or there was a gap between when he helped House Vernius and Atreides.

I just love learning all of the little details that they got wrong! Call me spiteful, but every new thing discovered is a brick removed from the monstrous edifice the prequels claim to be. Eventually they will collapse into oblivion and no one will ever know they existed! ;D

• 2 weeks later...

I just love learning all of the little details that they got wrong! Call me spiteful, but every new thing discovered is a brick removed from the monstrous edifice the prequels claim to be. Eventually they will collapse into oblivion and no one will ever know they existed! ;D

Beautifully put.